Chapter 35- Up All Night Sunday, December 22, 2014

The sound of a baby screaming throughout the house and the bed shifting underneath me woke me up. I groaned in annoyance as I look up at the clock besides me to see that it is 3:30 in the morning. I closed my eyes again as I dragged myself out of bed to see Melly needed any help with the new baby. I finally opened my eyes once I arrived to the kitchen to see Melly standing there with Danny in her arms as she waits for his milk to heat up on the stove. I flipped the switch, making me wince at the sudden brightness.

"Ugh, are you the devil?" Melly groaned as she rubbed her eyes.

I chuckled at her remark as I approached her. "No, but I am the dad and I came to see if you need any help."

"No, thank you. I got it. Why don't you go back to bed and rest? We have another long day tomorrow." She said, turning off the heater and pouring the milk inside the baby's bottle.She closed the lid and shaked it.

"Are you sure? I feel bad making you get up and doing the work all by yourself." I said.

It's true, Melly wouldn't be here feeding a crying baby if it weren't for me.

Melly turned around and shaked her head as she walked to me.

She kissed me, before saying, "You're very sweet, but I can take care of this. Thanks though."

"Okay." I said, sounding a bit upset than I intended to do.

I just wanted to help my family.

"I know you love them, but I want you to wait until morning. Besides, it's mostly my job to take care of them at this hour for the first few weeks. We can start having turns by then." Melly informed me.

I let her words play in my half-conscious head, before I said, "Not a bad idea at all."

"Thank you." Melly said, wiggling my shoulder a little, knowing how clever she is.

I laughed at that and said, "I think I'll go back to bed. Call me if you need anything."

"I will." Melly said, as she popped the bottle inside Danny's mouth before going back inside the nursery and sitting in the rocking chair. "You're so lucky to have a guy like him as your dad, don't you know?"

I smiled at her words, before I headed into our room and laid on the bed. I am so lucky to be surrounded by people who believes in me and my abilities, when I can't believe in them myself. While my opinions of myself should be the only one that matters, it's only human nature to care about others' opinions of you as well, whether it helps your self-esteem or not.

I looked up at the video monitor on Melly's side, watching the said girl feeding our baby and singing a new song to him. I closed my eyes letting her soft voice fill my mind, aiding me back to sleep.

"Hey, baby, don't you cry,

Everything will be alright,

So please calm down as I sing you this lullaby

Tonight.

I can assure you, my dear,

Everything will be alright here.

So please don't be scare,

Because I'm right here.

Let me sing you this soothing song,

As you try to hold on strong.

Nothing will go wrong,

Just as long as you're in my arms,

I will protect with my love.

Don't you fret,

Because I bet

When the sun shines tomorrow,

You'll be full of butterflies and rainbows.

Go to sleep,

You'll be at peace.

No more tears running down your face,

You'll be great.

Because kiddo,

You'll be laughing as the sun shines tomorrow.

I love you,

Forever and always.

Good night, baby."

"Night, Daniel." I heard her say, before my drifts off to dreamland again.

Two chapters in a row! Although, this is just a filler chapter, I hope you like it.

Credit:
Title: Lullaby
Artist: Michelle
Album: Puzzle Piece
Written by: Michelle

Have a nice day!