Chapter 4- My Reaction Saturday, April 27, 2014

"Derek! Derek!" I heard Melly say when I gain back into consciousness.

I opened my eyes to Melly's beautiful face. She was gently stroking my cheek with a smile on her face. I smiled back as I put my hand over the one that is placed on my cheek and sat up a little. Last thing I remember was Melly singing about her pregnancy.

My Melly, who is only sixteen years old, is carrying OUR little baby inside of her right now? Wow, I did not see that coming.

"Yes, you did. You just didn't want to admit it to yourself." The voice in my head told me.

"Shut up!" I mentally told it.

Yet I ask, "What happened?"

"I-I said I'm.." Melly began, but I cut her off.

"I knew what you said; I just wanted to make sure that I heard you right." I told her, "How long have you known about this?"

"For about two weeks now." She said, biting her lips.

"Quit biting your lips, doll. You're going to make it bleed. You're too beautiful for that." I said, "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I was scared that you'd get mad at me and dump me. I also didn't want to make you think that you're obligated to stay. I didn't know how to say it until I came up with that song. I wanted to tell you about my pregnancy at the right place, right time, in the best way as possible to make it an okay news for you." She said, shaking her leg in nervousness. I put my hands on her knee to make it stop.

"Don't be nervous. It's all going to be okay." I told her. I hugged her and leaned back. I kissed her head and said, "I promise I would never leave you. You know me better than that, Mel."

"I know, I know. It's just with all these teenage pregnancy stories, I was really apprehensive into telling anyone." She said, sniffing. I felt tears wetting my t-shirt, but I don't mind that. I understand her fears perfectly. She's sixteen and she just found out that she was having a baby. She didn't graduate high school yet and she doesn't have a job to provide for herself, let alone an infant. I can't say I'm confident about this either. What do I know about raising a kid?

"I know, you're scared, and I am too, but I can assure you that I'm sort of happy about this." I said.

"You are?" She asked, confused.

"Yeah." I said, "Did we make a poor decision in having sex at a young age? No. We made a poor decision in having sex without protection. But I don't regret it. If you're pregnant, you're pregnant for a reason. You don't think this is an accident, do you?"

"No." She said, sniffing.

"Exactly. There's got to be a reason why God has chosen you to carry a child right now. It's not the way we've planned it, but it happened. The only thing that we can do is plan what we can do from here on out." I said, brushing her hair behind her ear.