Chapter 45- Danny's First Baptism Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday, March 29th, 2015

3 Months Old

I held out the Saint Mary Catholic Church's glass door to Melly as we entered the holy atmosphere of the religious house. Our friends and family were to celebrate the baptism of our son, Daniel James Parker. Everyone sitting in pupil were dressed very elegantly. Danny is dressed up in white as snow, just as every Christian babies are said to be dressed. I was wearing a white suit with a red tie, just to make a color pop, while Melly was wearing the dress that she was wore on New Year's with red flats for the same reason as me. We patted down the aisle until we met Father Brian, ready to start the ceremony.

I held Melly's hand in mine as she focused on the priest as he gave our son his blessings. He prayed and preached for almost an hour before pouring holy water on the infant, causing him to cry from the contact of the liquid. We kissed each side of his head as Melly closed his suit again. My fiance put our son's head over her shoulder, stroking his hair as she whispered comforting words so that he may calm down. He eventually did calmed down as the ceremony came to an end. I smiled and thanked the priest, once he blessed us to have a holy life, when he fully knows that mine and Melly's life is far from it. In fact, we had a bit of a hassle from him when we first met him.

*Flashback*

He came into the room last week in a perky attitude asking who were Danny's parents. When we raised our hands, Father Brian laughed his head off, thinking we were two teenagers playing some practical jokes on him. But once he realized we weren't laughing back, his laughter died.

He cleared his throat, before he asked the dreaded question,"Did you at least confess your sins?"

"No." Melly shamelessly answered, looking dead into his blue eyes.

Father Brian didn't like it though. He started preach to us about sin. He was telling us how we should've kept our chastity until the day we changed our wedding vows and how now our souls were doomed to hell.

"Okay, but what does that have to do with wanting my child baptized and be introduced to church?" Melly asked, once he was finished with his long speech. She looked at the man with amusement resting on her cheek, because she thought that the man was crazy.

"The child is full of sin." He said, pointing at my son.

"Excuse me, but from my understanding, every child is born with sin. Regardless of their parents' age or relationship status. Even so, look at this child. Tell me you don't see innocent in his eyes, because let me tell you that my baby boy never asked to be born. He has nothing to do with the sin that his father and I committed a year ago. He was just a gift that came from it. I loved him too much to let him go. I wanted him in my life, before I even knew the answer to my pregnancy test. If you problem with that, talk to the heavenly Father, because I assure you He had as much participation in making Danny just like Derek and I have. And we all know that God makes no mistakes." Melly said, looking dead serious at the elderly dressed in white in front of us. All hints of amusement is not detected on her heart-shaped, caramel-colored face.

The bald priest and I looked at her in shock at her attitude. I honestly cannot believe that she would have the guts to talk to anyone like that, especially a priest. I was silently applauding her though. She knows how the catholic church views on premarital sex, especially on women. She was far from ashamed of exploring her sexuality with me the way she did only a year ago. Father Brian looked disgusted to be in the same room as us. But Melly didn't care. She knew what happened, happened and just wanted to introduce her child to the religious world.

Melly continued, "So either you baptize our son like any other child of God, or we'll find someone else who can. Which will it be?"

Father Brian looked at my fiance, fear set in his blue eyes as he nodded his head.