Chapter 43- The Gig Friday, February 27, 2015

Tonight is the night where Bean Me Up first opens its first cafe session, Lively Hour. The Black Pliers has been practicing songs after songs for week, until we felt that we were good enough to handle this. Ever since Melly gave birth to Danny, the band has been on hiatus for a few until Mike came in to remind us about the gig on Monday.

"Seriously? How could we ditch practice all this time?" Mike yelled at us at the time.

In truth, none of saw how time passed quickly between all of us. We were expecting to have more time to do what we need to do, before we can practice for the band to it. But alas, the world was moving forward without our brains catching up until the last week. The audience can tell us if we've done our jobs well.

I was backstage with Melly as everyone is onstage, setting everything up, making sure that everything is alright. A lot of people that we knew were out there. My parents are out there with Danny. A few people from my high school and Mike's bosses were out there to see if this new session will be a hit or a miss.

Melly, who was dressed in an off-the-shoulder black and white lace patchwork dress and flats, paced back and forth, biting her nails in nervousness. She felt unprepared for this session because we haven't practiced in three months and the only time she ever sang is with Danny, but she has sang to him so quietly, one could only hear her if you listened so closely.

"Melly, calm down." I told her.

"I can't calm down. What if we fail out there? What if Mike loses his job because of us? This was his idea." Melly said, continuing to pace.

"I highly doubt that Mike is going to lose his job if we suck." I said.

I have met Mike's bosses before and they seem extremely nice. They don't seem to be the type people who will fire their employees for being bad at one field. Besides, we practiced as much as we could at home. The whole neighborhood loved us as us. This is the biggest thing that our band can get to, might as well take advantage of the moment.

"I just want us to be good." She said.

I grabbed her shoulder to stop pacing.

"We will be, don't worry." I told her, looking her in the eyes. I can see her anxiety going down a bit as we held eye contact.

"You don't understand." She said, weakly.

"Trust me, I do. But I also know you. And you can do anything you want, if you put your head into it." I said, using gentle words to soothe this baby mama.

"Thank you." She said, leaning in to kiss me.

I kissed her back, when I heard the blue curtains opened. I looked up to see Mike's head popping out of it.

"Nick Carson, the director of Vine Shack Records from Los Angeles is here to check us out. He wants to see if our band is capable of getting a record deal." He said.

"Holy shit." Melly and I said in unison.

With that, Mike disappeared back to stage, leaving alone to deal with Melly's tantrum. She groaned and stomped her foot in frustration. I held her in my arms as I let her storm pass by.

"Great." She groaned.

"Hey, don't worry about it. We're going to do just fine. You're going to do just fine." I whispered to her. I kissed her head as Mike introduced the band to stage, making them cheer for us. "You can do this, I believe in you."

Melly smiled at me. "Kiss me for good luck?"

I smiled back, leaning in to capture her lips with mine. I stayed there letting the lips dance with each other, before I pulled back to get some oxygen. I patted her back in reassurance, before walking up to the stage with her.