Chapter 18- At Work Monday, August 18, 2014

"Have fun at work, baby." I said, pecking her lips before waving her off to Starbucks.

"You too. I love you." She said.

"I love you too." I responded with a smile. Even though she works in the cafe around the corner, while I work by the cash register and we get the luxury to see each other more than we should, we still act like the cheesy couples in the movie who waves goodbye to the other before they head to work.

I went behind to register five, getting ready for the day to come. It started as a normal day. I smiled and made small talk with the customers as I scanned their items. Then around what I assumed to be ten, I was checking out an old man's laundry detergent item. He gave me the coupon for me to scan. I looked at it to see if it's valid.

"I'm sorry, you can't use this. It's expired." I said, trying to hand it back to him with a kind smile. That awkward moment when you try to use a coupon for discount, but it's expired.

"What? What are you talking about? It's perfectly good." He said, frowning.

"Sir, I am looking over the paper. It said it expired yesterday at ten in the morning." I said, remaining calm. I know what to do since I've been in this situation before.

"You're wrong. Get the manager!" He demanded.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh, calling Jake to come over to where I am.

"What's going on?" The manager said as he walked by.

"This guy is trying to pay for his stuff with this coupon even though I told him it was expired. He thinks I'm wrong." I said with a bored expression on my face. I am so ready to check out the next customer. Why am I arguing about this with this guy anyway? Either pay for or, if you don't have the money, leave the item and leave. No need to cause drama about this.

"Sir, I'm sorry you can't use this. No exceptions." Jake tried to reason.

"Fuck you and this store. I don't need this." He said, storming to the exit without the detergent.

"Well, that was something." I said as Jake and I laughing.

"He was so angry for no reason." Jake said. "Alright, I'm gonna go back, you're good, right?"

I nodded my head before he left. I put the laundry detergent to a cabinet to remind me to put it back later. I shook my head as I looked the next customer.

"Hi! Is that all you're paying for?" I greeted a mom in her early thirties. She nodded her head as I scan the clothes and baby stuff. I smiled at the infant stuff, reminding me why I wanted to work here in the first place. I tried to open the cash register, but it wouldn't open. I tried again and it remains close. Sighing again, I picked up the phone to call my new friend, Alex over. Over the month I've been working here, a lot of co-workers has come to like me and Melly. Unlike our schoolmates, our co-workers couldn't care less if we're going to be parents soon; they value us as human beings.

"Sorry ma'm." I apologized to her. She nodded her head with a kind smile.

The sandy blonde haired, 20 year old man came up. "What's up?"

"The cash register won't open." I told him.

"Aw man." Alex muttered. He tried to open it the way I did it, but the machine remained closed.

"Hey, what's the hold up?" Some lady yelled. I looked to see a middle-aged woman in the back of the line, glaring at me. Minutes later, everyone in line were shouting at me to hurry up. Fear crossed my face and I could've sworn I saw Melly head popping out from Starbucks to see what's going on before going back to work.