Chapter 53- Father's Day Sunday, June 21, 2015

I chuckled as I felt Danny's legs wrapped around my the back of my neck. I picked up the baby, so that I am able to turn around so that my back is facing the bed, and not my stomach.

I kissed Danny's head, "Good morning, Daniel."

I turned to look at my soon-to-be wife and kissed her lips. "Morning, baby."

"Happy Father's Day." Melly whispered in soft voice, causing Danny to squeal in excitement.

My first Father's day already. Where did the time go?

I smiled at her and told her, "Thank you."

I looked at my son, who's wearing a 'I Love Dad' onesie and had a piece of paper in his hand. I furrowed my eyebrow and grabbed it.

"What's this?" I asked, examining the paper with a red and blue footprint that said the same thing as Danny's onesie as well as his date of birth. I turned to kiss my son on the cheek. "Thanks Daniel. Such a nice present you got me."

He responded with an upbeat babble, ending his speech with a giggle signifying that it was a funny story.

I just laughed along with him, responding with, "That is an interesting story. Thanks, Mel."

"Oh, it's not a problem, Derek. It was actually a funny story, you see.." Melly said, but was cut off by the phone ringing.

I looked at the caller ID to see that it was the place where I got an interview at the other day. I cancelled my application in New York, because I knew how illogical it would be to move across the country without any money to come with me in the first place. However, I did sign up for a job in Fair Oaks, where my dad works at, in a similar company since it would a twenty-seven drive from here. I pressed answer.

"Hello." I said.

"Hi! This is Kirk Coleman, the manager of Bake n' Books. I'm just calling for Derek Parker." A man's voice said to the phone.

"Yes, this is he." I responded as I sat up the bed, causing Melly to remove Danny from me. I pressed the speaker so that she can listen as well.

"Yeah, I am calling to confirm that you have a job in the retail department." He said, causing me to exchange a look of surprise with my fiance. I guess I was quiet for too long because the man said, "Hello?"

"Yes, yes, yes. I'm here." I responded.

"Alright. I look forward seeing you in approximately two weeks." He said.

"Okay, I think I can work this out. Thank you, Kirk." I said.

"Bye." He said, before hanging up.

I put the phone on my side table and looked at my girl with a smile on my face. Finally, I got a job after going almost a month unemployed. There's something that I do need to tell her before it all happens though.

"Congratulations on the job, babe." Melly commented, pecking my lip.

"Thanks." I replied. "Babe."

I sat upright on the bed, looking at her.

"Yeah?" She said.

"I have to tell you something." I told her.

"Oh no, you're not pregnant, are you?" She joked, causing me to laugh. I shook my head. "I thought we've gone through process of it already."

"No, not that." I said, shaking my head at this chick's silliness.

"Alright then, shoot." She said, holding the baby closer to her.

"As I was in Fair Oaks, doing my interview, I was hanging out with my father for a while going around the small town just like normal father and son would do. What we were doing was, going house hunting with a really nice real estate agent that he knew and she helped us pick out a really nice, affordable, white and burgundy house at a neighborhood close to where dad lives. It has everything we have here except it includes a pool and a really nice front yard." I said, looking at her face to see her reaction before I continued. "I signed the papers for rent, however, it is not official until you sign it too. I know this sudden and everything, but I did this so that we can quit mooching off of mom and get our asses out of here. I just want to run it across you before we do anything rash."

Melly furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Hold up. So you went house hunting with your father and some random lady and sign a paper for a house I haven't seen yet?"

"I was planning that we can go this afternoon." I said.

"How much does it cost?" She asked, curiously.

"Around 1,400 dollars." I told her, "It may look expensive, but I figured if we split the money up, it could be affordable."

"Derek, do you think money grows on tree? You do realize we have to pay for not only the house itself, but we have to pay for electricity, water, gas, and a lot of other things. Not to mention we already have to pay for child support with Danny, gas for our car, baby clothes, baby food..do you really think we can afford this?" She asked, hoping that I put some logic to this whole situation. "What about college and my job?"

"Hey, we're moving to another town, not across the country. You can work at Starbucks, or maybe apply for a better job and you can still go to the community college around here. But trust me when I say, I know what I'm doing. Just come with me today and see the house for yourself. It's really nice." I assured her, circling my thumb around her knuckles just the way she likes me to. "Everyone is going their way at the moment. I know Mike and Jack are; we should probably do the same. I know they don't the same circumstances as us, but still we need to try to branch out of this guest house. For Danny's sake."

"And if all fails?" She asked, raising her eyebrow at me. Damn, this girl is full of questions today.

"Then we will figure out a way to make it work again. But I promise you that in the end, it will all work out. Just wait and see." I whispered to her.

Melly stayed silent for another minute, processing everything that I just said. Ultimately, she knew that she couldn't talk me out of this, so she sighed and nodded her head.

"Fine. I just hope you know what you're doing." She stated.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and kissed her head. "Trust me, I am."

"Well, in that case, why don't we go to the kitchen, eat breakfast, and celebrate Father's Day like we should?" She said, placing her hand on my lap.

I smiled at her. "Sure. But you give me the baby."

She rolled her eyes as she handed over the six months old infant into my arm. He turned around to grin at me, showing off his growing baby teeth, causing me to smile back. Melly and I got up and walked to door to let this holiday meant for appreciation begin.

Hello everybody and happy holiday! Forgive me for not updating for almost not two as I was sick and had a bit case of writers block, but no worries I am back. I know this chapter is a bit a poor(and unrealistic), but this is the part where everything is slowly knitting together a happy ending. To be honest, I was about have the family move to New York, however I knew how dumb and unrealistic it would be so I chose for them to have this ending instead. Don't worry, the story is slowly knitting together for that happy ending that we all love---or will it be a happy ending? I don't know. ;) Until then, have a wonderful day everyone! 1 chapter down, 6 to go! :)

Xoxo,