Chapter 37- New Years Wednesday, December 31, 2014

It's an hour before midnight, everyone is in the living room of my parents' house, dancing, drinking, and generally having a good time with each other while waiting for the new year to come. John is making out with a girlfriend on the couch. Hmm, hope he has a condom on himself. Lord knows mom doesn't want to see another baby in the house. Dad is conversing with my mother in the kitchen like good ol' friends. Melly is outside with me talking to our cousins as she allows them to greet our newborn son. She is wearing a pale iridescent gold fortune wiggle dress with cap sleeve and a geometric neckline with flip flop. She's wearing little to no makeup and her dark brown hair is in it's natural wavy look in a loop waterfall braid way. I am wearing a t-shirt under a blazer and a pair of dress pants. Danny is asleep with his step-grandfather looking over him and Mia, since Melly got the children to watch ball drop in New York live online around nine.

I looked at my champagne glass filled with ginger ale, before I looked at my fiance who is constantly checking her phone every few minutes. The thing about baby monitor that we bought to look over Danny while he's in the house is that it can be connected to a smartphone or tablet and we're allowed to watch the baby anywhere at anytime as long as there is wifi connection, of course. While it is one of the best invention that anyone could make, so we can keep an eye on our young son, Melly, who has him attached to her arms most of the time, is anxious now that he's not in the same roof as us. Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious on what's going on with him when he's inside sleeping in his crib and we're out here, but I have to be the confident one for Melly's sake. Besides, he's under my step-father's care, who basically took care of Mia by himself when she was a baby; I am pretty confident that Danny is fine.

I put a hand on Melly's wrist as she continues to stare at her bright screen and said in the gentlest voice I can muster, "Danny's is sleeping in his crib as peacefully as every baby should. He's fine and we're talking to family right now, therefore, I would appreciate it if you would please put your phone away."

Since she doesn't have a pocket on her, I held my hand out so I can make sure that the mobile phone is put away. She looked at me with a sigh and an eye roll as she shut off her phone and put it in my hand.

"Thank you." I said, smiling at her as I put my phone in my jacket pocket. "Don't try to take it out. You're not that slick to me."

"I wasn't going to." She lied with another eye roll.

I stayed quiet and turned my attention back to my cousin who was laughing about who knows what. I just laughed along to look like I was paying attention to the subject. My cousins stopped, and just looked at me, making me stop as well. I looked at the bottom of my glass, before looking back up again.

"So what's up?" I asked.

"Nothing, nothing. Just joking around." Sophia said, drinking her glass of wine. "What are your plans after the ball drops in our time?"

Melly shrugged, "Go back to normal, go back to school, while taking care of a newborn baby?"

"Same." I said, agreeing with her response with a smile.

"Really? You guys don't have a new year's resolution plan?" Jimmy asked.

"I mean, mine is to be kinder and be a good mom. I don't what else to ask for." Melly responded with a small giggle, thinking that having a new year's resolution is stupid.

I agree her. What is the point of wanting to be a better person for a new year, if you're just going to return to be the same person in a few days? If you believe you want to a better person, you should work every day towards being that person; you shouldn't have to wait for a brand new year to come to do so. Plus, people should know that they won't automatically change overnight; it just doesn't work like that. But let people be people. It's not my place to say whatever they're doing is wrong. If they want to have a new year's resolution, let them. But they better not come and cry to me when they realize it doesn't work, because I'll most likely laugh in their face.