Chapter 36- Christmas Thursday, December 25, 2014

The smell of Melly's famous gingerbread cookies fills my nostrils, along with the sound of Christmas music filling my ears as I made my way to the kitchen to see the said girl, getting a batch out of the oven. Danny was sitting in his highchair, watching in curiosity as his mother baked. I slapped her butt as I walked by her before moving her long, brown hair to kiss her cheek.

"Hey beautiful." I said into her ears.

"Hi." She said, blushing at my naughty, but nice gesture. She turned around and pecked my lips. I turned around and lifted Danny out of his chair and kissed his cheek.

"Hey Danny!" I said, cradling the small infant in my arms.

It's been six days since Danny came to my life and I still cannot get over the fact that I'm a father. This beautiful little boy in my arms with the power of my love for a girl. I'm not going to sugarcoat it though; this boy is a pain in the neck. He's constantly crying over everything. He's been waking us up every single night with his screaming because he either wants food, he needs diaper changed, or for whatever reason a baby can cry for. I get it, he's a baby, he doesn't know anything. He doesn't know how to speak and I do want to be there for him however I can, but goodness gracious can he be annoying. And I know that this is the beginning of mine and Melly's stress. And we all thought high school was bad. I mean with school, we don't have to worry about it for another two weeks. We're even allowed to have a few weeks break from work during the holiday season, because of the baby, but we can get a break from him. But through all the crying, the stress, and drama, I wouldn't want to take a break from Danny. I love my son and I really do want to be here to support him and Melly.

My relationship with Melly is another part of my story that maybe starting to turn for the worst. Things have have been really awkward. Although we've been around the house with each other a lot lately, we haven't had a normal interaction since the baby was born. We've been avoiding each other's eye contact, we had one-worded chat, we sometimes use Danny as an excuse to not talk to each other at all. That communication back there that anyone would consider as a typical "Derek and Melly thing" is the most normal thing we've done since we've brought Danny home. I don't know what is the reason why we're acting like that. I don't know if it's because she just gave birth, if we've everything together at a young age, we're engaged, or if our relationship is truly starting to fall apart. I don't want it to because I love Melly and our history too damn much to want to let go. Hopefully this will be resolved as we get used to having a child between us. It has to. I want to fix it and I know that she does too, we just don't know how.

Like right now, I'm standing in the small kitchen playing with Danny in my arms as my fiance's eyes fixed on her baking. I want to say something; I need to say something. I just don't know what.

Keeping my eyes on Danny, I said to her, "I'm going to take Danny into the living room."

"Okay." I heard her soft voice say behind me as I exit the room.

I sat down on the couch with my son in hand and flipped on the TV to another DVD episode of Rugrats. I entertained the 6-days-old infant with his toys as we watch Tommy, Chuckie, Lil, Phil, and Angelica go on an adventure. I examined Danny for what felt the thousandth time since he was born. He is the spitting image of me save for the fact that he does have Melly's facial structure and hair color. He's calm at the moment, but it won't take long for him to start crying for his mother.

Because it is Christmas, there is small family gathering this evening in the main house. My dad's family are also coming along because my mom said that they're family too and they get to participate with us tonight.

I am glad that I am forming some kind of relationship with my father, though I'd never admit it. The man has been gone for a while, but he is here now, hanging out with his four children, step-child, and grandchild and for me that's all that matters. It's going to take a long time to get over the mystery of his departure, but I don't want to ruin anything with anyone right now. After all, ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind.