Chapter 48- Son Of A Melly Saturday, May 23, 2015

I made an airplane sound as I 'flew' the spoon of applesauce into the air before I trying to fly it into Danny's mouth, only to find him pretending to sleep. I let out a chuckle at the silly boy, before clearing my throat.

"Eat your dang food!" I said, imitating Popeye.

Danny slowly opened his eyes, smiling at me as if he just fooled me.

I shook my head at him and said, "You can't fool me. I am your father and we're so alike in many ways, you don't understand. Now please eat your food."

I did the airplane effect again, this time making sure that the food lands in his mouth. The applesauce dribbled on the side of his mouth I wiped it off with his Elmo bib, before feeding him more sauce. Danny banged his hands against the table in excitement. He squealed and babbled at me as I digged the spoon into his food.

I am home alone with the baby and puppy all day, while Melly is off at work. I recently got fired for constantly missing my shift due to having to spend time with Danny sometimes. I thought Jake would be more understanding than that, since he was a young parent as well, but he told me just because that I have a child at home, does not excuse from missing work. So now I'm spending more time with him and Flower, while I look for employment at place where they're hiring anyone under the age of eighteen.

I looked at my son before turning around and heading over to spice rack. I grabbed a few spices such as cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, pepper, and vanilla, before heading back over to the high chair. He looked at me with curiosity as I settled the scents in front of him.

"Alright, Danny. Let's play a game." I said. "I'm going to introduce you to these scents, because I want you to get familiar with them, and because I know how much you love sniffing things. So I will rub some on my hand and you just tell me with your facial expression, if you like them or not. Okay?"

Honestly, I'm just bored and I feel like this is a good way to pass my time.

I opened the cinnamon and rubbed a pinch over my knuckles. I waved it under his nose, watching as a smile formed on his face. He giggled, probably thinking I'm silly for doing this, which I probably am, but I'd do it if I'd see him smile all day. I smiled back at him as I wiped the cinnamon off of my hand and rubbed another spice on. He likes nutmeg, but hates cumin. He likes vanilla, he sneezes at the sniff of pepper. I scratched the back of his head with one hand as I used the other to wipe the spices off with a napkin.

"That was fun, right?" I asked.

He laughed and babbled in response. It sounded like he was trying to tell me a story of his day in his developing form of language. I picked him up as we headed into the living room.

"Oh, really?" I asked him as we settled on the floor. "How does that make you feel?"

He continued to babble, his tone seeming to be in a happy tone indicating that the story is a delightful one. This boy is so simple, I swear. He's easily amused.

"Oh wow, that sounds awesome." I commented, mentally laughing at him.

Danny said something around a "ya" along with other words that I don't comprehend. He ended his story with a tiny giggle. I nodded my head in understanding.

"That was a great story, Daniel. Sounds like you enjoyed it." I told him. He nodded at me and cooed. An idea popped inside my head. "Say, why don't we sing together?" He gave me a one-tooth grin. "Yeah? Alright then, I'll be right back."

Danny and I have been making music together, lately. I strum the guitar, while Danny would attempt to blow the harmonica. We're not perfect, but we enjoy each other's company too much to care. Melly would sometimes join us to sing or play her piano. Sometimes she would just watch, entertained by the kind of bonding that I have with our son.

I went into my room to grabbed two instruments. Everything was quiet, when I heard a crash from the living room making me jump. Remembering that I left a five month old alone in the living room, I ran to where I left him with the instruments in my hand.

"Danny!" I yelled. I saw that a glass container was shattered onto the floor. I dropped the instruments in panic, worried that Danny could've been hurt. I turned my head everywhere around the room in frequent search for my son. "Danny."

The baby's head popped up from under the table, smiling at the sight of me.

"Oh, thank goodness." I said, running towards him. "Are you okay?" I picked the baby up and examined every part of his body to see if he was hurt. Relieved that he didn't have a cut, I looked at him with a smile. "You're okay." I conformed.

Danny just smiled at me before wrapping his tiny arms around my neck in a hug. I kissed his head and rubbed his back, letting the infant stay like that in my arm.

I turned my head to sound of keys jingling outside the door.

"Oh look, mommy's home." I whispered in his ears.

I walked to the couch, when I tripped just as the door opened. I groaned as my face hit the cushion.

I looked up to see that Melly was looking between me and the shattered glass.

"Derek!" She yelled in anger.

I groaned and rolled my eyes in annoyance, letting my face fall back onto the furniture. Danny giggled, making me groan again. This son of a Melly.

Hope you enjoyed this cute father-son chapter. There's more coming soon. Until then, I hope you all have a nice day. 1 chapter down, 10 more to go.