24

Ashton's Wednesday consisted of Luke and Michael bickering. Turns out in Monday he missed them actually throwing punches at each other in the cafeteria. On Tuesday they didn't speak to each other which annoyed Ashton anyway, but now they were just taking it too far. Ashton preferred it when they weren't speaking to each other, because now anytime one of them opens their mouth the other has something to say about it.

And Ashton was always in the middle.

After Monday he now had to settle all of their arguments. Every last one. Whether it be something stupid like Luke making a comment about Michael's shoes. Or something a bit more serious like Michael threatening to end Luke's life. Ashton just had to out a stop to it because that was his job apparently. Even though it should be Charlie's considering it's her fault.

What pissed Ashton of the most though? Not seeing Jade. Not once.

He was unsure what was happening between them now. He didn't know what they were, or if they even had a specific name. It was all very new and different to Ashton. He wanted this relationship to be his last and make sure it mattered, but everything was a lot harder with them. A lot harder.

He had been so busy with Luke and Michael he couldn't do anything to even get Jade's attention. He wasn't even able to see her at lunch sometimes. What Ashton kept reminding himself of though was the fact that he will see her after school. He didn't want her to think he had just forgotten about her. He was so worried that she was going to think this was just Ashton playing the field and messing her about. She should know by now though that Ashton isn't like that, not with her anyway.

"Do you want to come over to mine?" Luke asked as the bell rang for the last time today.

Ashton started putting his geography books in his bag. "I can't." He replied.

"Why?" Luke asks very quickly. "Are you going to Michael's?"

"What?" Ashton sighs.

"Because if you are you don't have to lie about it." Luke tells him. "I know you don't have a problem with Michael but if he says anything about me just punch him in the face and say I told you to do it. Because I am." Luke begins to ramble. "So when you see Michael today punch him in the face for me."

"I'm not going to Michael." Ashton rolls his eyes and him and Luke begin to walk out the class into the busy halls.

"Oh?" Luke asks coming to Ashton's side. "What're you doing then?"

"Uh..." Ashton hesitates.

Here is his problem. Ashton isn't ashamed of Jade. He actually really enjoys math. He loves spending time with Jade but...

If Luke knew anything about this he would probably kill Ashton. Seriously. Ashton would be dead. If Luke knew that Ashton and Jade have kissed and confessed their feelings to one another then he would probably flip out, beat up Ashton, flirt with and bother Jade some more just to get under Ashton's skin and convince their coach to not let Ashton play football anymore.

"Just family stuff... y'know?" Ashton shrugs and doesn't look up.

"Right." Luke says with understanding. They stop when they get to their lockers. "Listen if you, or Harry, or Lauren ever need a place to spend the night you know that my house is always open." Ashton looks at his friend who is smiling sympathetically at him.

It kind of made Ashton guilty about how much he underrates Luke as a friend and as a person. Actually Ashton still thinks like isn't a great person, sometimes, but when it comes to actually being Ashton's friend he can pull through. Ashton almost feels bad for lying to him. Maybe if Ashton just explained to Luke how much he likes Jade and has always liked her, he might get it and back down. He might actually be a good best friend and realize this is what Ashton wants and needs.