9

"Hi?" Jade wasn't too sure what Ashton was doing here. He told her he had to look after his brother and sister. So why was he still at school. With his gym bag, dripping in sweat and also coming from the football field. Of course. He was at football practise. It shouldn't take a genius to work out.

Jade wants to yell at him for lying but she doesn't feel comfortable enough. She just now really wants to get home. She's not even sure why this is irritating her so much. Maybe it was the lie. There was no need for him to lie. Yeah, she still would've been annoyed because Ashton's doing so well but honestly it wouldn't have bothered her. Jade knows how much Ashton loves football. It's what he is doing math for.

"Hi." Ashton repeats again after just saying it seconds before Jade did.

"Okay," Jade says slowly. She can feel the awkwardness rising between then both. "I should go." Jade nods her head towards the exit of the parking lot. "Hope you had good practise." She couldn't stop the sentence from tumbling out of her mouth. She couldn't help it.

She's had a pretty shitty day and last night was even shittier. She got in a huge argument with Calum and didn't even know what it was about. It started being about Charlie and next thing Jade knew was she called Calum an idiot and stormed out of his house. They didn't speak at all today and avoided each other completely in the hall ways. Now she was lied to by Ashton. She shouldn't care as much as she does and she knows this she keeps telling herself this.

It wasn't a big deal. So what if he lied? It's Ashton Irwin. What can you expect?

This was her thought process and with that she turned on her heels and began to walk towards the exit. She didn't think Ashton was going to follow her but he did. She heard his feet hit the ground and he ran to her side then in front of her to stop her from walking any further.

"Jade," he began and she had to stop walking or else she would've bumped into a very sweaty Ashton. That wouldn't be pleasant at all. "Let me give you a ride." He almost pleads. Maybe he thinks offering Jade a ride home would stop her being mad at him.

"It's fine." Jade brushes him off. "I wasn't expecting one so I'm fine walking." She says as coldly as possible.

"Well I'm here so I might as well drive you." He suggests and shrugs.

"No thanks." Was he one of those can't take no for an answer type guys?

"Jade, I'm sorry." Ashton says quietly. He was actually a little bit scared of Jade right now. He was worried he had totally ruined their 'friendship' or whatever was staring to happen between them.

"It's fine. I get it." Jade didn't care if she sounded like a bitch. Ashton shouldn't have lied. "Football is more important. It's all good."

"It's not that," Ashton looks down at his feet sheepishly and then back up at Jade. "I just have to. It's kinda what's expected of me."

She was now actually starting to feel bad. Maybe she shouldn't have been so cold. Jade knows what it's like to be expected to do something or be really good at something. She knows how much pressure can be put in you to do something so well because you show promise in it.

"Fine," she huffs out. "I'll get in your damn car."

"Really?" Ashton stares in utter disbelief. How had he managed to make her forgive him?

"Yeah." Jade says putting her little smile back on. Why was he so happy she was thinking about forgiving him?

~~~

The journey was mainly silent except for the radio which played music softly in the background. It was getting hotter and hotter so Ashton had rolled down the windows of his car to let some fresh air in. The wind was blowing Jade's hair about.