32

Concussion.

Bruised ribs.

Dislocated shoulder.

The three of those kept circling in Ashton's mind as his dad drove him home.

Harry, Lauren and his mom were at Ashton's grandparents house. He was supposed to be with them but because of his injury he couldn't stay.

The car trip was icy and cold. Ashton knew his dad was pissed. He knew that his dad was mad. Furious was probably a better word. He made it seem like it was Ashton's fault he got hurt. He did show the slightest part of sympathy or understanding.

"You're grounded by the way." His dad said through gritted teeth as they entered their street.

"Grounded?" Ashton repeats, shaking his head.

"Yes," his dad nodded. "Was your hearing affected by that utter stupidity you showed?"

"Dick." Ashton mutters under his breath, but his dad hears.

"Want to repeat that?" His dad said.

Yeah, you're a dick. You've given me nothing but abuse since I was five. You've made my life hell. You've made my mom's life hell. You aren't a dad. Mom should leave you. I'm going to leave you. And I'm taking whoever I want with me.

Ashton wants to say, but he know better. He keeps his mouth shut.

"That's what I thought."

Ashton grinds his teeth together, trying to stop himself from talking anymore.

His dad parks the car in the drive. When they get out Ashton looks up at Jade's house. The living room lights were on but Jade bedroom lights weren't. Ashton was guessing the game would still be on, only for a little while longer though. Jade is probably on her way home now.

"In." Ashton's dad says as he opens the door for Ashton.

Ashton goes to head for the stairs and up to his room to lie down in the dark with an ice pack but his dad stops him.

"Living room."

"Dad..." Ashton groans, turning round.

"Do as I say." His dad replies sharply.

Ashton presses his lips together and does a 45 degree turn into the living room. He didn't really know what to expect. Hopefully his dad would just yell at him and Ashton could keep quiet long enough for it just to be that.

"So," Ashton's dad took a seat across from Ashton, watching him groan as he sat down. "What happened?"

"I was just trying to help Luke and Michael." Ashton is instantly on the defence.

"And look what happened." Ashton's dad nods at him. "You could've ruined your whole career. You understand how serious this could've been."

"What did you want me to do?" Ashton complains. "Luke completely changed the play-"

"So you agree this is Luke's fault?"

"What?" Ashton stops talking.

"You agree that if Luke didn't change the play you wouldn't be injured." Ashton stared at his dad, trying to work out what he was getting at. "If Luke hadn't failed in his responsibility as quarterback you would have been okay."

"Dad," Ashton shook his head. "What are you...?"

"Doesn't seem like he is ready for college at all, does it?" Ashton's dad finally reveals what he was meaning.