49

Jade, for the forth time this week, has to remind herself that her front door will already be open. Harry and Lauren are probably be in the living room watching TV or, Jade prays, doing some homework early.

"Hello?" Jade calls, as she shuts the front door with her foot.

"Hey!" Lauren calls back from the living room.

Jade follows her voice and goes into the room. Harry is sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal and Lauren is reading from a book in the couch.

"Hey," Jade says. She's so happy to see them like this. She had a huge fear they would both never adjust to the sudden change. And now they have and make themselves at home. It's a good feeling. "How was the bus today?" Ashton and Jade had both realized that to get everyone to school on time Ashton could drive Harry and Lauren to the school bus stop and then drive to the high school with Jade. It was a pretty good system.

Lauren shrugs. "A kid got kicked off this morning for pushing my friend over."

"Oh my god," Jade's eyes widen. "Is your friend okay?"

"Yeah," Lauren nods. "It was kind of funny. I laughed."

Jade rolls her eyes and smiles. "Harry, what about you?"

"These two people in my class broke up on the bus." Harry nods.

"You're in fifth grade?" Lauren raises an eyebrow at her brother. "Why are two people dating in your class."

Harry shrugs and eats another spoonful.

Jade sighs. "As long as you aren't dating Harry. Right?"

"No one wants to date Harry." Lauren scoffs and Harry turns around and slaps his legs.

"Hey," Lauren gives Harry's head a little tap with his foot. "Don't hit me."

"Don't say mean things." Harry responds with an suddenly they are both looking up at Jade like she knows how to resolve it.

"Oh." Jade says, not sure what to do. "Um..." the house phone begins to ring and Jade has never been more thankful to here the sound of it.

She quickly goes over to it and picks up. "Hello?"

"Jade?" Jade recognizes the voice immediately as Mrs Irwin.

"Oh." Jade looks hesitantly over to Harry and Lauren who are squabbling.

"Is this a bad time?"

"No, not at all." Jade slowly makes her way out of the living room and into the kitchen, where she feels more comfortable to talk freely. "Hello Mrs Irwin."

"Please call me Anne or Anne-Marie." She tells Jade. "I think you've been dating Ash long enough for that."

"Of course... Anne." Jade quickly decides to add.

"Speaking of," Anne says. "Is he there? Ashton, that is."

Jade bites her lip. "No, he has football practise."

"Right." Jade grows increasing worried as to what this phone call is about.

"Is everything okay?" Jade asks carefully.

"I miss them." Anne admits.

Jade lets out a quiet sigh and leans an elbow on a bunker top. "I know you probably do." Jade nods even though Anne can't see her.

"I've missed them since they left nearly a week ago." Anne continues. "So..." she lets out a little bit of breath. "I did what is best for them and left."