Entry #123 04-08-2021

04-08-2021

Dear Future-self,

Today I learned something new about wedding traditions. It was so weird to learn that here in Bicol if you want to get married you would need to send gifts for your wedding sponsors (ninang or ninong). And when they say gifts, that meant giving away 10kls of meat, a round chiffon cake, and other sorts of food for the said sponsors. In return, during the wedding recepcion, these sponsors will bring their other relatives and join the ceremonial "money dance". The money dance is an opportunity for the couple to gather money from the crowd and their major sponsors. It is said that the money the couple would gather during the money dance would serve as their start up money for the beggining of their marriage.

I did not come from a traditional family, so things like this really sparks up my curiosities. But if I were to be asked, I will not waste my money on impractical things just for the sake of following traditions. Although I do respect those who would still prefer a traditional wedding. But it really isn't the wedding that's important, a happy marriage is.

What's a elegant and expensive wedding for if you have a rotten marriage? 

I don't want to spend so much on wedding  expenses. I wouldn't invite people who had no idea about our relationship. I wouldn't invite the whole town, unlike what most wedding are. Just like how I celebrate my birthdays, someday, I would like to have an intimate wedding. And I hope my future husband would agree with it.

Your old-self,

-Present 24-year old self