Entry #78 (03-2019) Flight From Conversation

Original words: Jean Prodebel Bulosan
Edited Version: Krizia T. Gonser

This work is not solely mine. The original words and ideas are from my friend Jean, who asked me to edit her school work for her.

This is my version of her work:

Flight from Conversation

In this new generation, novel things have been discovered, including the advancements in technology. Technology makes things more accessible and easier to achieve. Yet, there are pros and cons in communication that comes with these developments. One advantage of it, is the ability to communicate with our loved ones from a far. But contrary to it, is the minimal conversations with those who surround us.

Social media made a great impact on our sense of communication. Instead of dealing with issues through a cup of coffee and private conversations, with just a single "click", we publicly burst our emotions. We delve into the comment box, trying to gain attention and sympathy. And we embrace the birth of broken trusts and ruined relationships.

In social media, we see another persona. Far from reality's raw emotions and true intentions. For here, it is easy to say "I'm okay" and feel otherwise. Here, we mask our sorrow with emoji's and smileys. Here, we can smile at the camera and pretend.

Whilst in conversation, you will see the sincerity of a person. You can lengthen your patience as you listen. You can give feedback without prejudice. And your presence builds an intangible relationship with another. Why give a virtual hug, when you can warmly hug the person? Why send an emoji, when you can show real emotions? Why chat in messenger, when you can meet and talk in person? "No man is an island." Therefore look for a real friend, not just some virtual companion. By this, we can restore the significance of a healthy conversation.

People should stop living inside an artificial world. Instead, they should start building genuine relationships that wouldn't loose its signal. So dear youngsters, turn off your monitors, shut down your phones, keep your tabs, and see the wonderful world around you. Today is the start of small talks and lengthy conversations. Today is the diminishing of chat-boxes and virtual connections.