58- e & f

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
TW: DEATH

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT!                       — Limerence

                      — Limerence

" I wish it didn't have to be this way. "

AFTER A LOVED ONE DIES, YOU DON'T WANT TO CELEBRATE A BIRTHDAY YOU KNOW THEY WOULD NEVER REACH. That's exactly how Ember felt about her 19th birthday. Though she put on a happy smile and opened presents with enthusiasm, she had never felt more empty. Her heart pounded faster than the rain that would echo off of the wooden roof at her home in Godrics Hollow.

Every time she closed her eyes she was met with the dying face of Regulus. At times he would be bloody, other times simply pale and lifeless, another he was drowning. She couldn't catch a break no matter how hard she clenched her eyelids. James had become her biggest helper until he fell into a state of sadness as well.

James Potter, the prankster, loyal, mischief-making man to who Ember had dedicated her life came home in hysterics one night. He was in the worse state Ember had ever seen him in. His hair was messy and had proof of him running his hands through it. His knees were scrapped, his face was tear-stained, and his face was swollen from his weeping.

James shook with each word and sob that left his lips. The man fell apart in her arms as she held him. She couldn't make out any of the words that left his mouth, it sounded more like strangled ranting than anything.

Ember didn't move, though. Through each jitter and each time he let himself cry louder, she continued to hold him tightly and make him feel safe as possible. James eventually raised his head and whispered his troubles to his wife, "They're sick. Mum and Dad. T-They have dragon pox. It's bad, Em. T-They never even told Sirius and me until today..." His sentence ended with a voice crack.

Ember kissed his forehead, "It'll be okay. They just wanted you to feel alright with everything going on. You didn't need the extra weight on your shoulders. Everything will be okay, James." The blonde whispered into his ear. She had held him until he had cried himself out and fell asleep. Even then she remained by his side and ran fingers through his hair, scratching his scalp soothingly. The hums he normally made in his sleep allowed her to relax more.

Her brain was running wild with thoughts. She had learned enough about the famous Dragon Pox to know it was close to incurable. Usually, when an elder was diagnosed with it they were dead before treatment was even an option. Ember couldn't let this happen. She had already made potions to save the dying... she could do it again, right?

Her hopes about saving the old couple crushed around her in shards as she came to the realization she most likely couldn't stop the inevitable. Nonetheless, she could stop the pain they would feel. Ember may not be a god. She may not be able to bring people back from the dead or solve the cure to cancer but she could help her second parents with the pain they would be experiencing for the next few weeks.