Chapter 7

Draft
____

Su Jingyang remembered that the system had indeed warned him that if the person being helped not only didn't appreciate him, but also hated him in turn, his energy would be reduced accordingly. He accidentally stepped into the trap, he was inexplicably wronged again.

But it was an old woman whose foot was half inside a grave, it wasn't good for him to fight back. Putting aside benevolence, justice, and morality, even if wanted to take revenge he couldn't afford it! He could only endure it.

Just take it as a lesson for himself this time, don't ignore everything else just to collect energy in the future and mindlessly help everyone!

After Su Jingyang calmed down, regardless of the  schizophrenic system's ridicule, he took a big step and walked towards Ling Li's house. He bought a small bag of sugar balls on the way back for Ah-Xuan.

After hearing Ling Li say that Ah-Xuan hadn't eaten sugar yet, the little guy was fed one ball by Su Jingyang, he laughed in relish with his mouth full.

Ling Li arranged dinner on the table. He saw Su Jingyang holding and teasing Ah-Xuan, there was frustrated anger between his eyebrows. He asked him what was wrong, Su Jingyang had nothing to hide so he told him what happened today.

Ling Li walked over to look at his arm and found that one of his arms was swollen, showing that the hand that harmed it truly held no mercy. He frowned tightly, "She's too much!"

During the meal, Su Jingyang heard Ling Li talk and realized that the old lady wasn't just targeting him alone. Ling Li passed by her door before. He was walking a bit slower because he was too tired. She chased and scolded him for several miles, saying he was a misbehaving harlot, deliberately slowing down so that he could disturb her grandson's study.

She was famous for being like that in the area. Not only did she curse people, sometimes a wild cat or wild dog making a noise would also be driven away fiercely, for fear that because of the sound, her baby grandson wouldn't be able to properly read his books and won't do well in the exams, unable to become an official. Only a few people around were willing to interact with their family.

Su Jingyang was utterly amazed, and became conscious to how unlucky he was. There were so many people, but the one he encountered was such a difficult and unreasonable person!¹

Ling Li also shook his head, "That grandma and grandson are the only ones left in their family. The old lady counts on her grandson, who has been the only scholar in their family for several generations, to become a top official in the future and take her to Jincheng² to enjoy her luck."

In Su Jingyang's mind, the young man with the words "study scum" on his face appeared by the window, he drank the porridge and laughed briefly. What top official? Pigs would have to fly first before that happens³!

What happened this day to Su Jingyang was an unpleasant episode and he soon left it behind. After lunch, he saw Ling Li weaving baskets in the yard. Su Jingyang, a job seeker who failed to find a job, also wanted to learn some crafts. As a result, his hands were always scratched and blood flowed because of his poor technique.

Ling Li took a cloth to wrap him up and didn't let him do it anymore. Su Jingyang had to squat aside and watched him with his eyelashes dropping and his face quiet, but his hand were skillful and rapid so it didn't take very long. A small frame was soon completed, and Su Jingyang took the perfectly made small frame in his hands and praised Ling Li.

Ling Li said, "I was like you at the beginning and I'm better at it now, but Jingyang, you don't need to do this."

Because of Ah-Xuan's special condition, Ling Li was destined to be unable to work outside every day. Besides, he was spurned by the people in the town, and no one wanted to accept him. He could only take care of some chores through a kind-hearted lady, and get the work done at home. Although the reward was only 30% of the normal income, he was also very satisfied. His previous savings were all used to treat the child's illness, so he could only manage support himself and the child with his meager income.