|dark wolf is just a story|

I sighed as we walked down the forest trail behind our house. "I'm sorry," Carson whispered. I stopped and turned to face him. "Sorry for what?" I asked, raising a brow. "Ruining your birthday." He replied, looking down. My heart dropped as he answered. "Carson, you aren't ruining anything." I sighed. "Get those negative thoughts out of your head." I playfully tapped his temple. He rolled his eyes and shoved me. "See, this is what I wanted. The playful Carson." I smirked. "Come on," I chuckled as we continued on the trail. 

We stopped once we reached the yellow stone. Our pack is called The Yellow Stone pack because of this random huge stone in the middle of the forest. It's not exactly yellow, but it reflects against it and gives off a yellow colour when the sun hits the stone. Behind the stone, I could see our friends: Lily, Marcus and Ruby. We all grew up together, they don't treat Carson any different to how they treat me which I appreciate. 

"Happy birthday, you guys!" Lily squealed running over to us. She peered at Carson and had a hopeful look on her face. They have been pining for each other for ages but they wouldn't let anything happen because of the mate bond. The mate bond is sacred to us werewolves, a gift that is given from our Moon Goddess. They're hoping they'll be mated to each other and I hope they are. 

"Thank you," I reacted, grinning. "Finally 16, happy birthday!" Marcus cackled, striding towards us. Out of our friend group, we're the youngest. They've already shifted, Marcus and Ruby are mated together which is amazing. "You'll find your mate soon," Ruby winked at me. I nodded and grinned. "Have either of you got your wolves yet?" Marcus questioned glancing between us both. We both shook our head and Marcus hummed in response. "We won't start the shifting until half eight, so they might come just before or after the shift is complete," I answered again. 

Receiving your wolf is different for every werewolf. Some wolves can come to you hours before your shift whereas some don't come until after. It's probably going to be the latter for us. "So, what do you want to do?" Ruby asked, raising her brow. I glanced at everyone before settling on Carson. "You can choose," I asserted grinning at him. 

...

After we spent the full day at the lake, we left and made our way back home to get ready for the ceremony. "I wish we didn't have to shift in front of the whole pack." I groaned. "I know," Carson replied through the link. "I'm going to speak to dad about Marcus being my Beta and you can get on with your studies for being a doctor," I mentioned as we arrived in front of our house. He spun around and stared at me, "Really?" He asked. I nodded and smiled at him, "Of course. I'd love for you to be my Beta but I know it's not what you want." I commented. He gave me one of his rare genuine smiles and I felt like a weight came off my shoulders. It wasn't often Carson smiled but when he did, it's like the day got a little brighter. 

"We don't have long till the ceremony." Mums voice boomed through the front garden. I sighed and rolled my eyes. We headed inside and dad was stood at the bottom of the stairs. "Caleb, I want a word with you." He stated as he looked between us both. I nodded and motioned for Carson to come with me. Dad shook his head, "No, just you." He deadpanned. I frowned and shook my head, "No, Carson comes as well." I recounted. Dad shook his head again and glared at me. "Fine," I groaned. I turned to Carson and his eyes were pleading with me, "If anything happens, link me straight away." I ordered as I watched him ascend the stairs. I glanced at mum and she rolled her eyes at me before heading into the living room. 

I breathed out in relief and followed dad into the kitchen. "What's up?" I inquired. "As you know you'll be shifting today so I'm going to be sending you away for the rest of your Alpha training." He declared. My eyes went wide and I was speechless. He can't be serious, can he? He can't send me away... That'll leave Carson here, alone, at their mercy. "And Carson?" I asked. He rolled his eyes and snorted. "Boy, he's holding you back." He chortled. I grimaced and sucked in a breath. "No." I proclaimed. "He's not a burden." I snapped. 

He stormed out of the kitchen and made his way to the stairs. "Fine, we'll see what he has to say for himself, will we?" He growled. He halted at the bottom of the stairs and spun around to face me, "Oh wait, he won't, will he? Because the fucker doesn't speak." He yelled. I can't believe he's our dad... He gives me everything I want, I never have any problems with him but when it comes to Carson, he's nothing but a nuisance for them. "Ok!" I shouted. "You can send me away, but no one lays a finger on him." He raised his brow at me, "No one will lay a finger on him... What are you on about?" He commanded. 

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him. "Caleb Stone." His voice was monotoned and professional, I knew he was putting his Alpha mask on. I whirled around and stared at him. "Don't forget who you're talking to." He deadpanned. "Yes, Alpha," I nodded before continuing up the stairs. I reached our bedroom door and opened it. Carson was sat on his bed, as I pushed the door open he flinched and recoiled towards the bed board. I sighed and pushed a hand through my hair. 

"We aren't staying here. We'll do this damn ceremony but we're leaving tomorrow." I declared through our link. His eyes went wide and he sat upright. "We can't go running in the forest." He panicked. I shook my head, "We'll be okay, I promise." I whispered, keeping my voice calm. "No, no. The forests aren't safe. The Dark Wolf. And rogues." He shuddered.

"The Dark Wolf is just a story that parents make up so pups don't leave the pack lands." I rolled my eyes.