|battle scars|

I can't wait to get out of here. I've been stuck in this hospital for a week, Amaris comes by every day to see me. She sits and talks with me for a few hours then leaves. She's like a mother figure I never had, she's so different to my mum. Rhydian comes every other day or he'll pop his head around the door randomly throughout the day. He tells me every time that it's just Rhydian, not Alpha. I find it hard calling him anything but Alpha. When I was younger we had it drummed into us that we call Alphas by their titles. 

I haven't seen or spoken to the Moon Goddess again and I'm confused. I want answers to why she comes to me and why I wasn't granted a wolf, I don't understand what I've done wrong to not have that blessing. She said on our first meeting that all will be revealed, when? How long do I have to wait? I'm still just a pup, I want an easy life. Not whatever this is right now.

Amaris brought her son, Dominic with her the other day and he's been back every day since. They ask me questions about home and I try telling them but I get all worked up and the pain of what they did comes back. They seem to understand and they don't push it. All they know is I left home, I don't have my wolf and my wounds were from my pack. They don't know it was my twin brother that inflicted the pain on me. I think that's what hurts more... not the actual wounds. The fact that it was him that did it.

"Bro, you're getting out of here later." Dom bubbled as he burst through the door, holding a bag. "Doc said your bandage can come off early and then you are a free man." He winked. I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "Have you looked at your face yet?" He asked as he sat on the end of the bed. I shook my head and grabbed the bag from him. "Dude, that's a battle scar! It means you survived." He grunted. I rolled my eyes and looked inside the bag. "Pasta bake." I chuckled and pulled the plastic container out. "You shouldn't be ashamed of your scar." He added, nudging my leg. 

I sighed and nodded as I shovelled the food into my mouth. "Goddess, you don't need to eat like that." He cackled. "I'm hungry, hospital food isn't as good as your mums." I chuckled. He nodded, "Have you decided what you're going to do?" He questioned as he watched me. "About what?" I hummed. He rolled his eyes and snorted, "I need a Beta." He groaned. I shook my head and put the container down. "I'm not being your Beta, Dom." I sighed. 

"But why?" He whined, "You'd be perfect." He nodded. "You have had Alpha training, I heard mum telling dad. I don't have any close friends that have Beta blood or even Alpha blood, apart from my sister and she refuses to be my Beta." He explained. "Dom, you don't even know me. I don't even have a wolf." I grunted. Ever since he found out about my family and that I was meant to be an Alpha, he's got it in his head that I would make an awesome Beta for him. 

"You don't need a wolf to be my Beta, idiot." He rolled his eyes "And as for the not knowing you. Caleb, we click... You know we do." He winked and wiggled his brows suggestively. "Get lost," I tittered. "Well, will you at least think about it? I don't take over as Alpha until my 18th anyway so we have 2 years to get to know each other." He chuckled. I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Awesome, I'll tell dad because you know for a fact, you're going to be my Beta." He winked before jumping off the bed and rushing out of the room. 

I groaned and flopped back on the bed. He's right in a sense, I do feel connected to him somehow... I can't explain it, but with him conversation is easy and it's like I've known him for years. There was a light tap on the door and Doctor Reeves came in, "How are you today, Caleb?" He asked smiling at me. I smiled and sat up. "I'm good, thank you," I replied. "I just saw Dominic rushing out of the hospital looking excited." He chuckled, "He nearly banged into me." He rolled his eyes.

I laughed and nodded. "Yeah, he's just left here," I responded with another chuckle. "You two have seemed to have hit it off." He raised his brow at me and I shrugged with a smile. "He's alright," I mentioned smiling. "He's a good kid, they both are." He nodded as he scanned his eyes over my medical chart. I haven't met his sister, he talks about her. You can see the twin bond they have, I try hard not to think about Carson when he starts talking about her, but it's hard not to. 

"So, we'll be taking your bandages off today." He placed the medical chart back in the box hooked onto the bed. I took a deep breath and nodded. "It's not as bad as you think, Caleb." He soothed. I nodded and sucked my bottom lip in. He's tried to get me to look and so has Amaris but I can't bring myself to. I don't want the constant reminder of what I have lost, I mean, my life wasn't at all great before but I had my brother and that was enough for me... What do I have now? A hideous scar that will cover half of my face, no pack and no family.

The door opened and Amaris stepped inside the room. "Doc linked me, I can stay or leave? It's up to you." She comforted. I took a deep breath and nodded. "Stay please," I whispered. She nodded and closed the door behind her. She came over to me and sat down on the bed next to me. The doctor started unwrapping my face and I held my breath. "Listen, I don't know what happened to you and we won't push for answers. Just know, you are part of this pack now. Whatever you need, whatever you want, we're here for you." She soothed, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. 

I choked back a sob and bit down hard on my lip. I wasn't ready for this, I didn't want to see my face. But I knew I had to, at least to start the healing process. The next step is to tell them what happened. 

The doctor stepped back and smiled at me. "There, it's all off." He smiled. "Are you ready to see?" He asked cautiously. I took a deep breath and nodded slowly. "I'm right here." Amaris breathed holding onto my hand. The doctor passed me a mirror and placed the handle in my free hand. "Will my sight come back?" I asked, looking at the doctor. He looked at me sadly and shook his head, "Your eye was too damaged, I'm sorry." He replied. I sniffled and wiped my cheek. 

I held the mirror up slowly, closed my eyes and held it in front of my face. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes.