|maybe she's your mate|

3 years later.  

"That isn't what we agreed, Stevens," Dom growled through the phone. I lifted my brow as I sat on the sofa in his office. He mouthed: "Fucking Alpha Jayden." I rolled my eyes and stood up. I held my hand out for his phone and he shoved it into my hand. "Alpha Jayden, it's Beta Caleb. Yeah, yeah, cut the shit." I snapped, "A deal is a deal" I added. "Exactly." I ended the call and handed him his phone back. 

"Damn, Cal. It doesn't cost anything to use manners." He snickered. Not for the likes of Alpha Jayden, he's a creep. He's not a bad Alpha, he just needs to get his priorities straight, like not going after mated she-wolves. "He winds me up," I groaned, falling back down on the sofa. His dad, Alpha Jacob was a close friend of Amaris's and Rhydian's. They frequently helped The Moon Lake Pack, so we have to continue the tradition.

A year ago, Dom took over from Rhydian and I took over from Lucas. Lucas, his mate and daughter have moved into the little village not far from here. They still come round now and again but they prefer their little solitude... I don't blame him, being Beta is fucking head wreaking. Amaris and Rhydian still live in the pack, they just don't interfere with Dom being the Alpha and I have to admit, he's a fucking brilliant Alpha. I wasn't going to become his Beta but I couldn't cope with training warriors and that was the only decent thing I was good at so I sucked it up and agreed to be his Beta and it works, although I'm more of his attack dog. I can't control my temper or my mouth at times.

Dom and I, we don't speak about what happened between us. We're best friends, we can have a laugh. It's like nothing happened. But it doesn't mean I don't secretly pine for him. He's filled out over the years, he was attractive when we were younger but now, fuck he's like a god. I find it hard sometimes being in the same room as him, but I have to pull up my big boy pants. I'm not his mate and he's not mine. He hasn't found his mate yet but I am dreading the moment he does. 

"You don't like anyone," He chuckled, throwing a ball of paper at me. "Not true, I like you and Addi." I shrugged. "Have you spoken to the Moon Goddess recently?" He asked, staring at me. I shook my head, "Not for a couple of weeks," I replied. He sighed and leaned back in his chair. "What's up?" I questioned, lifting my head to look at him easier. I've adjusted to being blind in one eye, everything comes naturally now. My senses have heightened even without a wolf. 

"Addi is coming home today." He answered, watching me cautiously. I raised a brow, "And? Why do you look nervous?" I asked, shrugging. He took a deep breath, "She's coming with her mate and his sister." He whispered. "Fuck no. Not happening." I shot, "She is not coming past the pack border, I will make sure of it." I declared, jumping to my feet. Dom was out of his chair and in front of me before I could get anywhere. 

"Don't be ridiculous." He guffawed. "She won't be staying for long. Addi's mate wants to get a feel of the pack before he transfers here." He explained. I groaned and dragged my hands down my face. "But, why is she coming?" I whined. He threw his head back and chortled. "Caleb, it's one little she-wolf, you can deal with it." He grinned. "If she touches me, I'm not going to be responsible for my actions." I furrowed my brows at him. "You've never met her." I glared.

He shook his head and chuckled before heading back to his desk. I turned around to face his desk, "Who knows... Maybe she's your mate." I gibed. Bile rose in my throat and I had to force myself to swallow it down. He froze and I saw him clench and unclench his fists. His back muscles were strained against his shirt. Well, he didn't like that statement. 

"I think she'd have known, your scent would have been on me and Addi when we met her," I said, trying to defuse the situation. He clams up when anyone mentions a mate to him, I thought I knew why but he never shows any feelings or anything towards me anymore. So, maybe he just doesn't want his mate. 

"Did Alpha Jayden agree to the terms then?" He asked, turning around. There was an edge to his voice, he still hadn't calmed down. "Do you think he'd say no to me after last time?" I raised my brow chuckling. He shook his head but laughed. "Serves him right for hitting on Addi." He smirked. "Damn right," I quipped. "So, the deal with Alpha Dick?" I asked. 

He rolled his eyes but they held a playfulness. "I'm sending a warrior to help train his son and he's sending his sister to help with the pups in the nursery." He replied, "It's a win-win." He shrugged. "As long as she's nothing like that dweeb, I'm happy." I chuckled. He raised his brow and his lips curled into a smirk, "Maybe she's your mate." He goaded. I scowled and rolled my eyes, "Fuck you, Alpha." I smirked, backing away to the door. 

His eyes flashed to black and I internally groaned. "See you soon, Dominic." I winked and left the office. I made my way downstairs and chuckled to myself, I love winding him up. He's so easy to tease. "Ahhh, Caleb I'm nearly at the border! I missed you." Addi's voice filled my mind. I would normally be jumping for joy but not this time. I spun around and raced back to Dom's office. I crashed through the door, Dom spun around and his eyes went wide. "Cal, what's wrong?" He panicked, scanning his eyes over me. 

"She's fucking here," I whined.