He Was He and I Was Bunny (2/4)

He Was He and I Was Bunny Part 2 of 4

5.

The next day, Harry tried very hard to convince himself it had all been a dream. What other explanation was there? Because there was no way he would ever willingly sit in Malfoy’s lap. And he certainly wouldn’t have sprawled out shamelessly in a blatant appeal for petting. And he most definitely would not have reveled in the sensation of it, the soft, easy pleasure of hands stroking his body, lulling him into a dopey stupor. No, it had to have been a dream. Make that a nightmare. A horrible, terrifying nightmare.

But then he brushed by Malfoy on the way into Potions and the smell of the other boy hit him, that particularly Malfoyish blend of expensive body products, cologne, and boy skin. The sensory memory of the night before crashed down over Harry so hard and so vivid it was like he had fallen into a Pensieve. There was no denying it. It had really happened. He stared at Malfoy dumbly.

Malfoy stared back, clearly unimpressed. “First, Potter, watch where you’re going. Not only did you touch my person, which I do not appreciate, but in your pathetic stumbling you rumpled my robes. You might not mind going around looking like you found your clothes in a bin, but I happen to care about my appearance. Second, you are blocking the door. Stop gaping like a moron and move the fuck along.”

“Shut up, Malfoy,” a voice snarled from behind them.

Ron. Right. He was with his friends. He was in class and with his friends and he had to stop acting like a complete prat. He shook his head clear and made his way to his seat.

“Malfoy’s such a shit,” Ron grumbled as they pulled out their books. “You would’ve thought he’d have learned something from last year but I guess his head is so thick nothing can get through, eh?”

Harry nodded, only half listening. He had his eyes on Malfoy. He was confused. If it hadn’t been a dream, if it had really happened, then why hadn’t Malfoy’s spell forced Harry back into his human form? He knew Malfoy was powerful enough to cast that spell. What had gone wrong?

He watched Malfoy all class, trying to figure it out. After about an hour, Malfoy’s cauldron exploded and Harry got his answer.

“Malfoy!” Slughorn blustered. “An exploded cauldron? I would expect that from a first year, not from one of my NEWT students. What happened?”

“Sorry, sir. It’s my wand. It just doesn’t work right.”

Harry’s eyes dropped to Malfoy’s wand. He didn’t recognise it.

“My new one will be coming soon,” Malfoy continued. “It won’t happen again.”

Harry could see Slughorn mulling over what to do. He was caught in a tight spot this year. Slughorn was someone who liked to attach himself to power and status, to collect students whom he thought could be useful to him in the future. These days, there were very few Slytherins on that list. At the same time, he was the Head of Slytherin house. He couldn’t exactly ignore his own students. He seemed to have settled for dealing with them as little as possible while still maintaining the general appearance of supportiveness. It was so self-serving and callous, it made Harry sick to see it.

“Hmmm, well, I suppose no real harm was done. We don’t have too many potions involving wandwork this term so I expect you’ll be okay until your new wand arrives. But perhaps you should just sit this one out.”