Dragon Pox

Author/Artist: charmed310
Title: Dragon Pox
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco, Harry/OMC (for a short time)
Rating: PG-13
Summary: As Aurors, Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy make a great team, but Draco often wonders if the teamwork continues away from the office, especially in the face of the absurdity of Dragon Pox and his son.
Warnings (if any): Fluffy
Total word count: 4,413

Dragon Pox

Draco Malfoy thrashed about wildly, trying in vain to get the shadowy figure off his chest. He couldn’t breathe; his face was covered. He coughed and spluttered through his struggling, his lungs screaming for oxygen. Someone was yelling and crying for help.

“Daddy!”

Draco sat up immediately in bed. He couldn’t see for smoke; his pyjamas were sticking to him from sweat and he couldn’t breathe. There was a roaring noise coming from outside his bedroom.

“Daddy, help!” came the scream again.

Scorpius!

Panic assailed him. The house was on fire. Draco groped for his wand on his bedside and ran to the door that burst open magically. He sprinted down the corridor to Scorpius’ room, the horrific heat growing. Almost unable to think, Draco opened the door with his wand.

The blaze had engulfed Scorpius’ bed and Draco could see the flames licking the chest of drawers beside it. Scorpius cowered on the other side of the room, and Draco could hear him whimpering. Waving his wand, Draco cast a Flame-Freezing Charm on the room and the roaring stopped abruptly. He ran over and gathered the terrified boy in his arms, his own heart beating half out of his chest.

“Are you all right?” he asked his son shakily.

Scorpius nodded, still too frightened to speak. Draco sat with him for a moment, rubbing his back and crooning to calm him, before turning his wand on the fire again to put it out with water. Though the fire was no longer a danger to them, acrid smoke still lingered, making it difficult to breathe; they definitely couldn’t stay there for the night. He decided to worry about how the fire had started later as there wasn’t much damage, except to the bed and the chest of drawers. He was quite sure his wards were sensitive enough to alert him if a mouse had got too close to the front gate, and as an Auror, he was given additional protection. All things considered, he thought Scorpius had been dreaming and performed accidental magic. Draco picked his boy up and opened a window before leaving the room.

Draco descended the staircase to the hall, catching sight of the time and wondering where on earth they were going to stay at this hour. Asteria was on holiday in Greece with Blaise for two weeks, so that crossed out two of the three people he trusted with his child’s life. His parents lived in France and there was no way he was in a fit state to perform a Trans-continental Apparition, even by himself, nor did he think that travelling by Floo would be the best idea. That left the third person who he really didn’t want to disturb on a Sunday morning as early as three am – Merlin only knew where he was or what he was up to. Still, they had agreed that in emergencies they could call on each other, and he had shown up, white and shaking, the night his house-elf had died, and that other time at four in the morning when he’d been out drinking and couldn’t remember how to dismantle his own wards. Draco rather thought that his son’s room being burnt almost to nothing qualified as an emergency.

Scorpius trembled and clung to his shirt. “I’m s-sorry, D-daddy,” he whimpered.

“Sorry for what?” Draco replied gently.