The Great Shock

Author: themarisa
Title: The Great Shock
Pairing(s): Draco/Harry, brief mention of Ginny/Luna
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy are training to become Aurors. Their Animagi are both the bane and blessing of their existence, especially when unseen forces come back into play.
Warnings (if any): sexual content, cursing and fighting.
Total word count: 5578

The Great Shock

Harry sat in the small classroom, awaiting Auror Aldridge to enter. He had sat in the same desk, at the same time for the past year. Harry watched, just as he always did, the other students graze into the room. They all looked like him now, pale, sallow, with dark smudges under their eyes. The first year of Auror training was typically the worst, mainly due to the heavy workload assigned to all students. It had been said to all of them that if they were able to get through the first year, the success rate for becoming an Auror multiplied dramatically. Those students who had arrogantly scoffed at the notion they would become another dropout statistic were now trying to find other ways to earn a living within the Wizard community. A small smile crept upon Harry’s face as he remembered the first victim of this curse, Blaise Zabini, who thought Auror School would be easier than bedding a fourth-year Hufflepuff.

However, the smile soon faded into a distant memory when Blaise’s partner in crime, Draco Malfoy, sauntered into the room. While everyone looked like they were on the wrong side of a two-day bender, Draco oozed sophistication. Not a single blond hair was out of place, his robes, perfectly pressed, encased him in luxury. Even now, Harry could barely stand the sight of him. After the final battle, that had already had grown into a legend in which many liberties had been taken, the Malfoy family had disappeared into oblivion. Wild rumors about them abounded, everything from the Malfoys were now living as Muggles in America to they had lost their fortune. Harry heard these whispers from time to time, not really caring that much. He was more concerned with trying to help rebuild the tattered ruins Voldemort had left in his wake.

A year after all had been won, Harry entered Auror School. Normally, a certain protocol was observed in deciding who would be granted the privilege of studying to become an Auror. However, when you defeat the darkest wizard in history, twice, customs can easily be overlooked. So when Harry saw Draco at the Auror orientation meeting, he was practically dumbfounded. Over the course of a few weeks, Harry had learned the true story of where the fallen prince had been. Lucius and Narcissa decided to take up residence in Italy, where Draco followed. While there, Draco had quietly worked out a deal with the Ministry and was allowed to take his NEWTs. Upon receiving his five required NEWTs, Draco retuned to England and decided to pursue a career as an Auror. Besides a bit more maturity added to him, it was the same old Draco that Harry had known throughout his days at Hogwarts.

Draco easily slid into the seat next to Harry, like he always did. Harry swore the only reason Draco picked the seat next his own, on that first say of Concealment and Disguise, was to antagonize him. And oh, how right poor Harry was.

“Good morning, Potter. My, you look terrible today. More than usual, not getting enough asleep I see?” crooned Draco, his lips pursed in a superior smirk.

“Fuck off, Malfoy. I don’t need to hear you mouth today.”

“Temper, temper Potter. You should really be careful of that, so unbecoming.”

Harry was about to suggest that Draco do something to himself that was physically impossible when Auror Aldridge walked in. He was small man that had a thick mess of white hair crowning his head. The veteran Auror placed a large, leather-bond book on his desk and began to address the class.