Leaping Towards Tomorrow

Author: empathic_siren
Title: Leaping Towards Tomorrow
Pairing: Draco/Harry
Rating: R
Summary: Animagus alignment is all the rage for finding one's true love. Why doesn't Harry want to have anything to do with it?
Warnings: EWE, established relationship, flangst, and some Very Bad Words.
Total word count: approximately 5,000

Leaping Towards Tomorrow

"Did you know swans mate for life?" someone at their table asked. Harry had no idea who she was. She was just another one of Draco's co-workers who liked to stare at Harry dreamily until she realized that being a hero made him neither fascinating nor enlightened.

"Do they really?" Draco asked, perking up.

"Yes. I just read about it the other day. Their little ducklings, or eggs—Bernard, what do they call swan offspring?"

"—gooslings?"

"No, good gods, man. That's not even a word," someone else said.

"Cygnets. They call them cygnets," Harry said quietly.

Conversation at the table stopped as everyone in the party stared at Harry, likely surprised that he'd uttered anything, much less the right answer.

Harry tended to avoid conversation at Draco's soirees. That's what Draco called them—soirees. Harry called them pretentious and boring. That had earned him a week on the couch in the downstairs lounge.

"Er, yes. That's right, I think," the woman who'd started the swan conversation said. "Anyway, the little cygnets are apparently much better off when cared for by two male swans."

That earned a low whistle from around the table.

Harry closed his eyes, waiting for the inevitable. Draco didn't keep him in suspense for long.

"You know, my Animagus form is that of a black swan," he boasted, craning his neck around so that he made sure everyone had heard him and understood how important a fact this was.

"I imagine you're beautiful!" a blonde woman giggled.

"I am rather handsome. Aren't I, Harry?"

"Of course you are."

"And Harry, what's yours?"

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but Draco—as Draco always did—beat him to it. "Poor Harry here hasn't yet mastered the art of the Animagus transformation." Draco leaned forward and said in a conspiratorial whisper, "It's a little too advanced for him."

Titters of laugher rang out.

"That's okay, though," Draco continued, "There has to be something Potter's not good at, eh?"

Harry said nothing.

"Perhaps you should take him to Madam Zorra," Bernard said with a nod towards Harry.

"Madam Zorra? She sounds like a Muggle fortune teller," Harry said with a scoff.

Gasps went around the table.