Welcome to K-Ville (1/4)

Author: malachic
Title: Welcome to K-Ville (Part 1 of 4)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: R
Summary: Seven years ago, Draco Malfoy disappeared from the Wizarding World. But the past casts a long shadow, and has a way of finding you in the strangest of places. Add Katrina and a dubiously-mortal friend into the mix, and you have a recipe for disaster.
Warnings (if any): Profanity, mentions of drug use, AU version of Real Life Events.
Total word count: 31,384

Welcome to K-Ville Part 1 of 4

Music, coming from a slightly open door. “Well I hope Neil Young will remember a Southern man don’t need him around, anyhow…”

A brush, gently moving against pale skin, tracing out a smooth design. Slick black lines left on the face’s canvas, perfect. A finger, moving up, smearing a line, molding.

“Going out somewhere special?” he asks his own reflection.

Smooth, shiny lips turn up in a half grin. “Of a sort.”

“Does your conscience bother you? Tell the truth…”

The lips move, forming the next words of the song. “Sweet home Alabama, where the skies are so blue. Sweet home Alabama, Lord I’m coming home to you.”

~~~

‘Somewhere special’ could be anywhere in this town. The Crescent City wasn’t exactly what you’d call a normal town. Hell, no one in the place would be what you’d call normal. On any given night, you were likely to meet a demon from the pit of hell, a harlequin, a mass murderer, and a drag queen. The thing was, they could all be together singing “Sweet Home Alabama” and no one would bat an eyelash. He smiled wistfully. That wouldn’t be so bad. He loved that song. He played it every morning before opening and every night before closing.

Well, you could never say New Orleans didn’t have character. He’d been here for seven years now, and he couldn’t even say that he’d gotten used to it yet. He’d gotten used to the life, at least–an insane amount of coffee, nights spent late in clubs and bars, going home with people he’d never met before and wouldn’t recognize if he saw them again, and the raves. He still remembered when Jay had dragged him along to his first one. God, it had been beautiful.

There were the drugs, of course. He had dabbled in a few, since his time here. Some ecstasy once in a while, LSD once or twice, crack once, but he didn’t really like how it made him feel. It was like ecstasy, but a little more out of control. A good enough high, he supposed, but when it was over… And anyway, he didn’t like not knowing what was going on around him. Call him paranoid, but wars did that to people. Besides, Jay made sure that he didn’t try any of the hard drugs. Jay used to be a heroin addict and he said that there was no way he was going to let that happen to Draco.

Draco chuckled, running a hand through his hair. Ah, you had to love New Orleans. Jay had basic rules when it came to drugs: Pot, ‘shrooms, and beer were okay; Heroine, cocaine, and PCP were not. Jay would have killed him if he’d known Draco had tried crack.

He’d come here by accident. He’d been running away from—from what, he wasn’t really sure. From the last supporters of Voldemort and the Aurors, he supposed. If he’d stayed in Europe, they would have found him eventually. The old families had connections all over the world and the Aurors, it was said, could track anyone down.