Kitty Kisses (2/2)

Kitty Kisses Part 2 of 2

It was the day before Valentine’s Day and Draco in particular was not in a good mood. While he dearly loved Kilmousky, he really wanted to spend the day with Harry, which just wasn’t possible. And if that wasn’t bad enough, Blaise wouldn’t stop badgering him for a few minutes with Kilmousky on his shoulder, just until he got a date. Draco hated that his friend treated Harry as an animal but for the moment that’s what he was, no matter how Draco wanted him and not his furry friend. Eventually he gave in and let Blaise walk Kilmousky around a bit around school, Draco figured it wasn’t healthy how he clung to Kilmousky anyway.

But watching him go was making him even more bereft, so he stormed outside for a bit of fresh air. He settled against a tree close to the lake and enjoyed the sunshine. It seemed time, time to talk to Harry and maybe try and see if anything between them was possible. Lost in his thoughts, he stared across the lake until his eyes hurt from the glow of the sun on it. He seemed so transfixed that Kilmousky stepped lightly so as not to startle him and for once just curled up quietly in his pocket, letting him think.

Draco groaned as he levered himself off the hard ground. Clearly the Portkey hadn’t been designed for safe or comfortable transportation. He stopped cold when he heard the sibilant voice of the Dark Lord reached his ears. “Come here, boy, and do not make me wait.” The command seemed to come from a little distance so Draco composed himself as best he could before obeying. When he saw that the Dark Lord was alone, he gulped. In his terror, he barely noticed when the chain broke and the locket soundlessly tumbled to the ground, catching on fur on its way down. Nor did he notice when his pocket had stopped squirming as his attention was caught on something else.

“You are useless to me, aren’t you? Pretty, but there isn’t much in that head of yours, is it? Not enough to consider that if you failed to kill that fool Dumbledore I would kill you? My patience has been tried long enough and since your parents decided to flee and leave you behind you shall suffer for their failures too – Crucio!” The long rhetoric speech partly prepared him for the shock that the Unforgivable was but not for his parent’s desertion of him. That hurt more than the Cruciatus and Draco just succumbed to the pain, to escape the mental anguish.

Watching Draco cry out in pain Kilmousky decided that desperate measures were called for. He left Nagini’s carcass, still piercing the locket, and pranced until he was right next to Voldemort’s boot. Since there was no audience to alert him of it, Kilmousky obeyed instinct and peed on him, copiously. He cringed at the sibilant scream of disgust, it was too loud and he actually folded his ears at the swearing, so vulgar. Then he was being picked up by the scruff and held in front of a truly ugly mug. Scratching could only make it better so Kilmousky proceeded to do just that. Seconds later Kilmousky was flung away and instinct again kicked in to make him rotate and hand softly on the pads of his paws.

Harry then transformed and watched as Voldemort’s face congested more and more with fury and something else. While seeming to be barely breathing, Voldemort made a valiant attempt to laugh at the deadly intent Harry was sure could be seen in his eyes. Then Harry cleared his expression and just looked, waiting. He looked as Voldemort became aware of his own mortality, as he screamed to see Nagini dead, as he shook at the sight of the ruined locket. Thanks to Severus Snape, Nagini’s propensity for shiny things had finally been her undoing. Mr. Malfoy’s cool observation of Pettigrew’s constant presence as well as the vicious death of any cat within a mile of Voldemort’s hideout and his wife’s cleverness at realizing the fatal allergy had been instrumental for this one moment.