Through Faoran's Eyes (1/2)

Author: chibidraco
Title: Through Faoran’s Eyes (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: PG
Summary: Draco Malfoy is receiving threatening letters and Shacklebolt wants to assign someone to watch over him during his time off. Who will take the case when no one else will?
Warnings (if any): EWE
Total word count: 14,714

Through Faoran’s Eyes Part 1 of 2

Hushed whispers accompanied him everywhere he went with so much frequency he barely noticed them anymore. Unless someone was irate enough to let loose an angry epithet, he would simply pause for a moment, debate whether it was worth arguing about, but the conclusion of that internal struggle never resulted in him fighting back. He would simply continue on his way and pretend it never happened.

The war torn wizarding world was far from perfect, a pale shadow of its former splendour and the newly reconstructed shiny buildings amongst the older, historic establishments were a blatant reminder of the horror that had occurred. Missing children, missing fathers, mothers, and friends, all lost in battle, lost to avarice and unfounded cruelty orchestrated by one of the most brilliant yet evil men in history.

The youngest Malfoy made his way carefully across Diagon Alley, keeping close to the shops to avoid grazing against the crowds. Draco followed his well-travelled route and arrived at the desired restaurant, ducking under the latest advertisement hanging from the doorway and making his way into the dimly lit room.

The maitre d' motioned him into his regular table towards the back, situated in the corner where he would have his back to wall and be able to clearly see the door. He slid into his usual seat and watched the midday patrons talking over their lunches, his thoughts drifting in the soft din of conversations.

“Draco?”

The blond’s head rose and acknowledged his companion.

“Gregory,” he said as the man took the seat across from him, He motioned to the waitress they were ready to order.

“Two Earl Grey teas, please,” Draco requested.

“Add a shot of Firewhisky to mine,” Gregory added.

The petite witch seemed surprised but didn’t comment and went to get their order with a polite smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“That’s sure to taste disgusting,” Draco informed him dryly.

Gregory’s reply was a growl–like sound and a shrug of his shoulders. Draco didn’t say anything more for the moment, well aware that nowadays Gregory carried a flask of liquor with him wherever he went. He wondered if he had been a different person he would have intervened at his former classmate’s drinking problem.

‘If I was Harry Potter I would,’ he thought unwittingly.

Harry Potter.

Strange how that name was no longer spat from his lips like venom; even in his thoughts it rang with a little respect.

Staring real evil in the face and seeing their pure-blood ideologies fleshed out had been a chilling experience and it changed him. He wasn’t sure how far these revelations had reached or how much change it had wrought, but what he felt for Potter was definitely one of them.