Ain't No Friend Of Mine (1/4)

Author: lettered
Title: Ain’t No Friend Of Mine (Part 1 of 4)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco (smidgen of Ron/Hermione, Luna/Neville)
Rating: PG
Summary: Draco has to face the truth of who he is. The truth has long hair and slobbers.
Warnings (if any): None.
Total word count: ~33,000

Ain’t No Friend of Mine Part 1 of 4

When they said you was high classed,
Well, that was just a lie.
—Elvis Presley

Weak sun filtered through drawn blinds, casting the private investigations office in bands of dark and light. Draco sat in the dark, a mass of shadows masking his quiet observation of the bird who had entered the office.

Her pearl complexion and coal black hair were a higher contrast than the gray light, and even the bars of shadows could not dim the blood red of her dress. Apparently unperturbed by the quiet darkness, she sat with a thigh on the desk, luxuriously lounging, a be-ringed hand propping her up. The other hand rose to pick up a paperweight and set it down, before she took out a cigarette and lit up. She seemed prepared to wait.

Draco was surprised. Pansy never had been one for patience.

Observing without being observed, Draco watched the lit tip move in the shadows, the flame illuminating her face from time to time. After a minute, the door to the office opened, and another bird strolled in. “He won’t be able to help,” the second bird said, her voice low and smoky.

“He has to,” Pansy said, not even breaking the rhythm of the fag rising to her ruby lips.

The second one was more plainly dressed, tweed skirt suit, buckle shoes, dark hair tucked up neatly under a smart hat. The slats of light split up her bulk, but illuminated the hand she placed on Pansy’s satin-clad thigh. “It’s been weeks,” she said, without an air of comfort.

Pansy didn’t move, neither at the words nor the touch. “It’s been too long.”

“He’s probably—”

“Don’t you dare say it, Millie.”

Pansy never had been one for practicality, either. They saved that for Millicent Bulstrode.

Although they spoke cryptically, without context, Draco knew the missing persons case of which they spoke rather well. They were speaking of the disappearance of one wizard—young, handsome, clever, amusing, sparkling ingenious justoverwhelming,really—

A man came stomping into the office and Draco’s thoughts. “Do we really think Potter can do it?” he asked the women.

Of course, they saved utter and complete indiscretion for Greg.

At the noise, Potter stumbled in, looking rather worse for lack of caffeination. He flicked the Muggle light switches, then somehow managed to remember he was a wizard and used his wand to flick the blinds. Morning sunlight flooded in the office, and in it Pansy’s mascara was smudged from an obvious hard night; Millie looked well-flossed as always, and Greg looked worried sick.

Potter looked from one to the other as if he thought he was still dreaming.

Before Potter could properly focus, Pansy slid off his desk in a fluid movement to face him. Her girlish, sing-song voice was steely. “Potter,” she announced. “We’re here to hire you.”