Hard to Forget (1/2)

Author: khateh
Title: Hard to Forget (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: PG-13
Summary: "Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin." - Barbara Kingsolver
Warnings (if any): -
Total word count: 15,100

Hard to Forget Part 1 of 2

Harry entered the pet shop, determined not to let his lingering feelings of guilt keep him away for another week. It wasn't as if he was replacing Hedwig, anyway. Five years was more than enough time to move on and consider buying another pet.

He'd been thinking about this ever since he and Ginny had broken up, leaving him with an empty flat and the feeling that living with another human being was more than he could handle.

The girl behind the counter—Maria, according to the name tag—was short, blonde, and smiling widely.

"I've decided to buy a pet," Harry said, looking around the shop. This Muggle shop was quite different from Eeylops Owl Emporium, but that was good. That was exactly why he'd come here.

"Are you a busy person? What sort of work do you do?" Maria asked.

"I'm working in the police department." It was the closest thing to the truth; he'd settled on it after school, knowing he'd look like a fool if he stopped to think how to answer that question every time he spoke with a Muggle.

"Well, we have a few cats and dogs." She turned from the cats and dogs' cages and gestured towards the rodents section. "Those are usually for kids, but ferrets are great pets, too. Playful and smart."

Harry looked at the ferrets, which were playing in some kind of sling. One of them was white, and Harry gave an involuntary shiver. "I've had an unfortunate incident with a ferret, so I'd rather choose something else."

Maria walked towards the dogs' cages, and Harry followed. "They're all pups," she explained, "and some of them will grow to be quite big. Would you like a small or a big dog?"

A dog would be a big responsibility. He'd have to walk it and play with it everyday, even if he wasn't in the mood for it. Maybe a dog wasn't as easy to care for as he'd initially thought. "What about the cats?"

Maria smiled and walked to the cat cages, where several cats were lounging about, looking supremely uninterested in what was going on. A small white one with two ginger spots was stretching, yawning widely.

"How about that one?" Harry asked, pointing at it.

"Smelly," said a strange voice. Harry turned around, looking for the source of it.

"Oh, Tom, shut up," Maria said, frowning. "Go back to sleep."

"Stupid."

Harry looked at Maria questioningly, and she pointed towards a tall bird cage where a big grey parrot perched looking at them. "That's Tom, and he's a pain."

"Tom smart," the parrot said, and Harry stared at him.

"Did he…"

Maria smiled. "He's a very smart parrot, but not very diplomatic. Insults the customers," she whispered to Harry, as if afraid that if he heard her, Tom would start up again.