Snakes and Ladders (1/3)

Author: mayfly_78
Title: Snakes and Ladders (Part 1 of 3)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Twenty years later and there’s a new subversive threat to the wizarding world. Draco would rather not get involved either way, much less work with Harry Potter for the Ministry’s behalf. Epilogue compliant.
Warnings (if any): middle-aged angst, graphic m/m sex by an inexperienced author, infidelity, plot holes, loose ends, fluffy endings
Total word count: 18,753

Snakes and Ladders Part 1 of 3

The once lush garden was a blaze of red and yellow, of vibrant green rapidly turning to black. The fire seemed uncontrollable, jumping from tree to tree and bush to bush. Newly grown leaves shrivelled up and disintegrated under the onslaught. Brightly coloured flowers turned to ash in the blink of an eye. Ancient trees tried in vain to fight off the flames.

Draco Malfoy leaned against the second story window of his manor and gazed, entranced, at the destruction of his garden. Amongst the tall flames he could see the diminutive forms of house-elves trying desperately to put out the fire. They would win in the end, but there was no saving the rare gold-tipped rose bushes or the Blushing Begonias. Draco sighed; it had to happen just as spring was nearing and the garden had started to bloom. His mother would be heart-broken when she returned. Fortunately the rear garden remained unharmed.

A piercing shriek cut through the air: one of the elves’ ears had been badly singed. Draco mused that he really should go down and help. Nevertheless, he stayed transfixed in his safe vantage point. The bright flames brought back memories of a distant past, of a time when he was almost burnt alive. A shiver ran down his spine as the feeling of unbearable heat and flames licking at his feet washed over him. He shuddered and turned away from the window, hoping to banish the unwelcome memory. He would not be going near any fires, not today, not any other day if he could help it.

He had a letter to write. A letter he had been putting off writing for far too long.

*****

Malfoy Manor stood tall and elegant in the cool light of early morning. The building itself was silent and restful, but the grounds were a hubbub of activity. A whole swarm of noisy Aurors were busy in the smouldering remains of the front gardens. So busy, in fact, that no one paid any heed to the two figures discreetly making their way to the front door . They quietly entered the house to follow a wizened old house-elf as he led them up the stately staircase and down a wide well-lit hallway to the door of the master’s office.

Draco had been once again at the window, observing the scarlet-robed Aurors at work in his garden when Barter informed him that his visitors had arrived.

“Show them in,” was all he told the house-elf as he turned from the window to face the door expectantly.

Two scarlet-robed figures entered, throwing back their hoods to reveal their faces: a tall greying wizard who carried himself with authority, Gawain Robards, the head of the Aurors, and a shorter wizard with messy black hair and vivid green eyes that Draco would recognise anywhere. It seemed like the Ministry had sent their best.

Draco smiled, pleased. “I’m gratified to see how seriously you seem to have taken my letter, Head Auror Robards,” he intoned. “Welcome and good morning. Please take a seat. Would you like something to drink? Tea or coffee perhaps?” He gestured towards the comfortable furnishing of his office, almost all of his attention centred on Robards, the wizard with the most authority in the room, rather than the wizard he would rather be paying attention to.