Compatibility (1/2)

Author: anathema91
Title: Compatibility (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Harry's Auror training hits a sour note when he is stuck with Draco Malfoy as his partner. Even amidst the excitement of Animagus training, the two are unable to get along. Will their incompatibility jeopardize their training, or will they finally learn to work as a team?
Warnings (if any): Language, sexual situations, rimming, Epilogue ambiguous (but otherwise DH compliant), some violence, minor character death
Total word count: ~17,300

Compatibility Part 1 of 2

Two weeks into Auror training, Harry still hadn’t gotten used to the idea that Draco Malfoy of all people was one of his fellow trainees. He argued against it with Kingsley for at least an hour, but he really hadn’t any leg to stand on. Not when Harry himself was the key witness at Malfoy's trial. How could he argue that Malfoy was not to be trusted, after declaring that he was just another victim of Voldemort, and not at all complicit in any of Voldemort’s or even his own father’s crimes? It was Harry’s very convincing testimony that led to an overwhelming vote of not guilty for both Draco Malfoy and his mother, Narcissa. There was nothing that Harry could say to help Lucius Malfoy escape a prison sentence, not that he would have said anything if he could. Harry still firmly believed that Lucius Malfoy deserved whatever punishment he received, regardless of how much he loved his son. His son. His son who was now training to be an Auror! It was absolute madness.

On a purely intellectual level, Harry agreed that Malfoy was excellent Auror material. He was certainly one of the more clever trainees in the group, possibly the most clever. He learned very quickly, was extremely agile, and even Harry had to admire how deftly he handled his wand. Malfoy’s aptitude for Potions and his knowledge of Dark Arts were both definite assets, as was his personal experience living with the darkest of wizards. Nobody had as much first-hand experience with dark wizards as Draco Malfoy, except, of course, for Harry.

It wasn’t even as if he hated Malfoy anymore. After Draco’s trial, Harry saw him again at Hogwarts, as both men joined the team of volunteers who worked day and night to repair the school. Harry guessed that Draco felt a great deal of guilt over his part in the war, even though the Wizengamot had not held him accountable. He was definitely surprised at how dedicated the Malfoy heir was to rebuilding Hogwarts. No matter how early Harry rose in the morning, Malfoy was already hard at work. And no matter how late Harry worked, Malfoy, more often than not, was still going strong when Harry finally called it a night.

Even with so many hands at work for so many hours of the day, the job took almost a full year to complete. Harry frequently found himself working alongside Malfoy, and the two forged an effective, if a bit uncomfortable working relationship.

In addition to working several hours a day on the Hogwarts reparations, anyone who had been in sixth or seventh year during the war were eligible to participate in an intensive NEWTs preparation program that was held in those areas of the school that were not damaged in the battle. Classes ran from midday to 4pm daily, and, much to his dismay, Harry found himself in the company of Draco Malfoy during this time as well.

Suffice to say, Harry was rather relieved when the repairs were completed and he had sat his NEWT examinations. For one thing, he could start his adult life and perhaps have an opportunity to lead a normal existence. And the other reason for his relief was the distinct lack of Draco Malfoy in his presence. Something about Malfoy just unsettled Harry. He often found himself distracted and staring at the other boy, trying to figure out what exactly made him tick, when he should have been paying attention to his work. This was the main reason why Harry fought so hard to keep Kingsley from recruiting Malfoy into the Auror program.