Radial Acceleration (2/2)

Radial Acceleration Part 2 of 2

“This is the potion maker’s house?” Harry asked, pulling up the hood on his cloak a little higher as to hide the telltale scar. He and Luna approached a posh townhouse in the elite Wizarding district.

“Well, not his true home. That is where his heart is, but it is where he sleeps, eats, takes a—.”

“Thanks, Luna!” Harry said, reaching up to ring the doorbell. The door itself was a heavy rosewood that had a design inlaid with gold on the outer edge. Glancing around Harry saw that there were intricate designs on the outside of the house. Harry suspected that the flowers in the flowerbox only took the most expensive bottled water and demanded twenty minutes of exclusive sunlight.

“We look suspicious,” she said.

Harry could only agree. He nervously twisted his engagement ring around his finger. After the appointment the other day he had taken the ring down to the jeweler and had a duplicate made out of steel. It was considerable different feeling on his hand, but it kept Ginny from finding out so he wore it.

There was a crack of magic in the air and Harry felt the wards slip into place around them. Silver writing appeared on the door.

Come in.

Unsure of what to do, Harry stood still until Luna shoved him forward. He fell through the door with a thud; his overnight bag flew out of his hands, leaving only the marble floor to catch his fall.

“Graceful as ever, Potter,” a familiar drawl came from above. Harry looked up into the face of Draco Malfoy.

Nightmare didn’t even begin to cover this.

“What, so surprised that I make a living off the very people that your Ministry rejects? Their money still weighs the same in the bank.” Draco smirked. It wasn’t a very attractive look on him, Harry realized. Especially now that it looked forced and out of place on Draco’s more mature face.

“I didn’t say anything,” Harry said, pushing himself off the ground.

Luna gave him a smile and a hug before leaving him alone with Draco.

They walked in silence down the vaguely familiar hall until Harry spoke.

“This is a big townhouse.”

“This isn’t the townhouse; the door is a portal to the Manor.”

“Oh,” Harry said. The Malfoy’s reputation hadn’t come out of the war unscathed, but their wealth had due to overseas banking laws. Harry would have lobbied for them to pay a heavier fine if Lucius hadn’t started the War Orphans Fund which did a world of good. Even Hermione couldn’t find blame with the organization’s mission statement.

They walked in awkward silence through the ornate halls of Malfoy Manor. Draco led him upstairs to a tower room. It was small, but comfortable looking. It certainly didn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the house.

“Is this your first time?” Draco asked, handing Harry a goblet of potion.

Harry nodded taking the goblet. He walked around the room, parting the heavy drapes and glanced up at the heavy full moon. The goblet fell from his hand, precious potion spattered on the floor.