Welcome to K-Ville (2/4)

Welcome to K-Ville Part 2 of 4

Draco sighed, collapsing into a chair. It was an old, raggedy one. Originally it might have been green, but he wasn’t really sure. It had faded so much over the years that it could have been neon orange for all he knew.

It was his favourite chair; he had woken up in it after he had passed out on the floor once. He had been in it when he’d had his first bad trip; he’d sat in it when Jay first passed him a joint; he was sitting there when he first learned how to do wandless magic; he shoved Jay into it when he’d came back, completely stoned, crying. He’d tied Jay down for ten nights, to stop him from going out to get heroin, and then he’d held onto Jay for three days more, helping him through withdrawal. Twenty-one days, he’d repeated. They say if you can go twenty-one days you’re off. He sat in that chair every night, brushing back Jay’s hair as he slept, or tried to. Twenty-one days.
He still remembered it. He remembered the pinched, tired look on Jay’s face; remembered Jay screaming out and thrashing in the night. He remembered wanting to use magic to help him, but not daring to because maybe he wouldn’t really get off of heroin; he remembered brushing his fingers over the holes in Jay’s arm, over the collapsed, exhausted vein, and softly kissing it.

Jay was like the brother he’d never had. Jay was the one person who he could always talk to, the first person he’d ever truly trusted and sometimes, he was everything. When he had first come to New Orleans, Jay was the one who showed him around, who fed him, who gave him a place to stay.

After three months, Draco got a job in dealing, but Jay hadn’t let him leave, he’d said Draco didn’t know his way around. After one year, Jay had said that he couldn’t keep the flat if Draco moved out. After a year and half, they just decided they liked each other too much.

~~~

Four years ago, Harry Potter cracked.

That’s what they say, anyway. He doesn’t think it ever really happened. Maybe he got angry, and maybe he exploded. But he wasn’t dangerous.

But when you’re the most powerful wizard in the world and what was assumed to be Theodore Nott’s body just happens to be found in many, many small pieces in the ruins of Flourish and Blotts, people don’t believe you ‘just found it’. They’re too afraid of the power, they’re too afraid of the possibilities. Especially when the memories and fears are still fresh from the Second War; the chance of another Dark Lord rising, of Harry Potter becoming the next Dark power. It turned out to be too much for everyone.

Including him.

~~~

Draco sighed, looking up at Potter.

“Are you just going to sit there and look like a wronged hero?” Potter finally asked.

Draco took a deep breath. He couldn’t let Potter go and keeping Potter was, well, he wasn’t sure exactly, but of the two, he preferred the latter. “You’re staying here.”

“Why?” Potter asked.

“Because there’s too much shit going on and I don’t know if you’re behind it. A rash of murders started about two months ago.” So what if Potter was an Auror? Potter probably hadn’t done it, but he could know who had. “How long have you been here?”

Potter stared, dumbstruck, spluttering for a moment before finding his voice. “You can’t think I’m–”

“Well, the murderer is obviously a skilled wizard. And he hasn’t been here for too long, or else I would have noticed. Everyone ends up in the French Quarter eventually, and I’ve got charms all over it. They didn’t notice you in your canine form, but—”