Speaka

Author: Nokas/nokasslash
Title: Speaka
Pairing: Harry/Draco
Rating: PG-13
Summary: It seems we understand each other better without words.
Total word count: 7252

Speaka

Everything had derived from two major unfortunate events that had taken place last September. And both on the same day, to boot. First, by a fantastic twist of an ironic fate, Albus Potter had met Scorpius Malfoy aboard the Hogwarts Express and, unlike their fathers before them they had actually bonded straight away! Then, to top what would certainly go down in Wizarding History as a day of despair, both of them had been sorted into Slytherin.

Not that Harry was bothered by the fact his son was to become a Slytherin. He had calmly accepted it with a sigh. It was the house of someone he had come to (reluctantly) admire and it certainly needed a little boost on its public image. Also, ever since his son had begun to manifest his magic, he had secretly considered the possibility. Thinking back, the sigh Harry had given then had been one of relief. Not that he'd ever think his son could be a Squib… Far from him… It's just that, well, you never knew. And magic's such a helpful skill too…

Since his first outbursts of magic, that had him, more often than not, stuck to the living room ceiling or breathing out rainbow coloured bubbles, Albus had seemed Slytherin material. He was shy, quiet and sometimes overly polite but he had mysterious ways of always getting people to do what he wanted, be it his siblings, his parents or anyone else close to him. He spent most of his time not playing Quidditch or any other children's games but fabricating the most absurd schemes that he designated by "Plans to Make Things Easy". Anyone who devoted their time to so much ridiculous planning had to be a born Slytherin.

~*~

There had never been a doubt in Draco's mind that Scorpius Malfoy was bound to become a Slytherin. Family tradition was a powerful thing, after all. He had raised his son with stories of a fantastic castle and the wonders it held in its dungeons, which just happened to house Slytherin's Common Room.

He saw no need for his son to grow up in fear of what had transpired in Hogwarts during his seventh year. There was one too many tales of it circling around as it was and some things were better left untouched in a never quite forgotten past. He had tried his very best to teach Scorpius all the skills he would need for his survival at Hogwarts. Make allies. Disregard unfavourable opinions. Hold his chin high. Always trust his father. The sordid past his family was now associated with, embarrassed him more than anyone. For some, bearing the Malfoy name could be considered shameful. However, it hadn't been until after the vanquishing of Voldemort that he had made himself see who his father was. He removed the blindfold of loyalty to understand what his father was. It was a hard learned lesson.

His father had never been a trustworthy person. At one point, Draco even admired him for it. But his father had failed him. His mother. Their family. That was the harsh truth and the ultimate sin. Every day, he made an effort to become someone his son could trust. The days of wanting to be his father were long gone. The Malfoys would rise again, but it would take time. It would take raising his son properly.

That had always been his main concern, though never as much as since Scorpius had boarded the Hogwarts Express. Inside that cursed train the most appalling thing had happened: his son had met a Potter spawn. And if the thought of his son exchanging amicable words with a Potter wasn't horrifying enough, both boys were to be sorted into Slytherin. Harry Potter's son was a Slytherin. Which side of the family had that particular element of young one's character come from? And why oh why did he have to bond with his son?!