Welcome to K-Ville (3/4)

Welcome to K-Ville Part 3 of 4

The flat was quiet. It was a rare sound these days. Usually he’d be bickering with Potter, or Jay would be boiling a cup of coffee, or Brendon would have the TV on. At the very least, there would be the quiet rustle of turning pages. But at this moment, it was completely and utterly silent, calm and tranquil. Draco looked at the black-haired man sitting in his favourite chair.

Potter didn’t seem to be doing anything of great importance, just lounging about, at ease and comfortable.

Draco turned back to the window, smiling. He hadn’t seen the moon in a long time. “Hey, Potter?” he asked.

Potter, who had just picked up Draco’s copy of To Kill A Mockingbird, didn’t look up to answer. “Yeah?”

“Have you ever looked at the stars?”

~~~

It was an hour’s walk, but he didn’t mind. He asked Potter about the book and Potter told him that he’d heard of it before, but had never read it. It was Draco’s favorite.

“What’s it about?”

Draco shrugged. “It’s about lots of things. It’s about judgment and prejudice first, I think. About how judgmental and hypocritical people are, how life is never really black and white. And how some people can be good, even when others don’t think they are. That how no matter what you’ve heard or anything, some people are good even if everyone tells you otherwise. It’s about innocence, what innocence really is. It was supposed to be about the South, but it ended up being about everyone. There’s no justice sometimes, the book says, because people are so bigoted that there can’t be. But life is still beautiful anyway. Because sometimes, people just surprise you,” Draco said. “At least, that’s what I thought.”

Potter glanced over at him and casually put an arm around Draco’s shoulder. Damn, he really hadn’t gotten laid in a while if that was all it took him to blush. “People do, don’t they?”

“Yeah,” Draco breathed. “Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

“Why?” Potter asked softly, glancing sideways at Draco.

“Because…,” Draco began, then frowned, as if trying to find the words. “Because they don’t hurt anyone. They just sing. They just act themselves without trying to hurt anyone. That’s why.”

They walked the rest of the way in a comfortable silence, Harry’s arm around Draco, except for Draco softly humming the bars of “Sweet Home Alabama.”

~~~

When he had first come here, Jay had been trying to get off of drugs. They had seen ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ the night before and he’d said that there was a place for him that was just like Tiffany’s. It was this old grove in New Orleans, a place that no one had touched. They said it was protected by a good witch. It was gorgeous. The trees were huge, towering over everything and you could see the stars shining like diamonds on any given night. Jay had said that every time he went, it made him fall in love with the world all over again.

Draco knew what he meant now.

Potter smiled. “It’s beautiful.”