Tuum Est (1/2)

Author: realitiedout
Title: Tuum est (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: PG-15
Summary: Written for the 2008 H/D Animagus Exchange. An Auror mission has Harry re-evaluating his understanding of one Draco Malfoy. (Giftee request: "I am never adverse to ferret!draco, and i loooove the perfect first kiss and lots of UST," and "I would really like fluffy cute animals..." and "auror mission/spying." I think I got at least four of five… three? *runs and hides*)
Warnings (if any): The usual (occasional) swearing; mild descriptions of violence.
Total word count: ~11,200 (excluding footnotes)

Tuum est Part 1 of 2

~ * ~ * ~

PART ONE

Present Day

He was running, dashing through alleyways, knocking over rubbish, zigzagging between abandoned vehicles that lined the streets. His lips were parted, an earlier ill thought out attempt to take in more oxygen. It was a choice he regretted making, as the dry air he gulped in made its way down his burning throat, each breath becoming an effort to keep himself from choking. And yet he ran, because the chase was still on.

He knew they were close behind—two greyhounds, and a wolf. It would only be a matter of time before they caught him, but he would not give up. Not now, not when he was so close.

A howl sounded, and the barking that had been following him since his escape grew louder, more frenzied. Something sharp nipped at him, but he was moving too fast, and his hunter only managed to rip out the fur from the ends of his tail. Still, it was painful, and he stumbled. No, he thought. He struggled to regain his balance, but he was exhausted, and his hunters knew it. He felt something shift in the air, a slight change that seemed to put everything into a freeze frame; he imagined that they were transforming, the fur on their backs coalescing into dark, wizards’ robes, their animal snarls morphing into victorious smirks, their paws turning into fingers, wands at the ready. He had hoped that his Animagus form would give him the needed endurance and speed, but clearly he had miscalculated.

~ * ~ * ~

About Two Weeks Earlier

"Potter," Draco growled. "Get back here."

The other man turned from the door he was about to slip through, his face a picture of innocence. "Sorry, Malfoy. Can’t. Got work to do, you know how it goes."

"Unfortunately, I do know, and right now, that work includes the both of us filling out these forms for the Smiths case."

Harry grinned as he eyed the paperwork on Draco’s desk. "Why, do you need help going over the details about how I saved your arse in that crossfire?"

Draco narrowed his eyes. "My arse wouldn’t have needed any saving if someone here hadn’t blown our cover prematurely. Merlin, you have got to be the most transparent agent on active duty."

"Puh-lease, you knew that the only way we were getting out of there alive was to launch a frontal assault. The reason your arse needed saving was because you were taking too much time scenario-building."

"It’s called thinking, Potter, now get back over here and fill in your share of these forms. They’re already two days late, and Dawlish has been sending us memos to get them done."