A Sheep An Auror in Wolf's Dog's Clothing (1/2)

Author: sesheta_66
Title: A Sheep An Auror in Wolf's Dog's Clothing (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing: Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy
Rating: PG-13
Summary: At a dead-end in an illegal potions case, when the Aurors finally have a lead, the only way they can act on it is by using a rather unconventional undercover technique. When Auror Potter discovers someone else undercover, he has a choice to make. Trust the person and team up or go it alone.
Warnings (if any): EWE.
Total word count: ~ 11,000 words

A Sheep An Auror in Wolf's Dog's Clothing Part 1 of 2

"Kingsley wants to meet with us in his office," Ron called through Harry's door almost the instant he'd arrived at work.

"What for?" he asked, irritated at being called away from his case. It had been frustrating him for a good few months now, ever since all the leads went cold. Wizards were manufacturing illegal potions, and they had managed to infiltrate London's Muggle drug network as well. Just when they thought they'd had the perfect lead, they discovered the lengths to which the organization would go to prevent anyone from talking. A modified form of the Fidelius Charm was used, so that no one could disclose anything about the operation; if they did, they died on the spot.

The one arrest they'd managed to make ended up putting their entire investigation behind by months, because now the operation had tightened up security, and hadn't let the one lead return. He'd been cut off entirely, and so had the Aurors.

Running his hand through his hair and huffing in annoyance, Harry got up and followed Ron into Kingsley's office.

"We have a lead in the potions case," Kingsley announced as soon as Harry and Ron took their seats. "Someone slipped up and contacted our would-be informant."

"I thought they'd shut down all communication," Harry said.

"Well, they weren't exactly communicating," Kingsley replied. "They sent a hit wizard to finish him off."

"Shit," Ron mumbled beside Harry.

"Indeed. We had been monitoring his flat, so we were signalled when someone arrived. But before we even knew what was happening, he was dead. The only consolation is that the Tracking Charm was activated," Kingsley continued. "Thanks to the recent modifications, this version is virtually undetectable."

"And the hit wizard led you ...?" Harry asked.

"Long story short, he led us to someone who led us to someone who led us to a sheep farm in the Scottish Highlands."

"So, what?" Ron asked. "Are we investigating sub-par wool exports now?"

Harry sniggered before Kingsley cleared his throat. "No, Weasley," he said derisively, "we believe the farm is a cover for the potions lab."

"Oh." Ron was suitably abashed.

"Right. Potter, you're still the lead Auror of record on this, but I'm hoping to use your skills in another area for a few weeks." He gave Harry a hopeful look before continuing. "I'm pulling in a few other teams to help with the investigative end of it. Weasley, if Harry agrees, you'll take over while he is otherwise indisposed, and continue to oversee the team running the information as we receive it."

"I know I haven't screwed up, so there must be some other reason you're pulling me off the case," Harry said.

"You don't have to do this, Harry, but --"