The Owl and the Harry-cat

Author: bonfoi
Title: The Owl and the Harry-cat
Pairing(s): HP/DM
Rating: NC17
Summary: The feathers fly when Harry finally discovers Draco’s secret.
Warnings: Realignment/reconfiguration of canon couples; canon death
Total Word Count: 4,830

The Owl and the Harry-cat

§¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪ §¤§₪

:: Prologue ::

The white feathers floated down through the air so slowly, like snowflakes tumbling through barely blowing breezes. They were caught in the branches of the dead trees surrounding the clearing like memories, so fragile, so sad. Draco Malfoy watched the last remains of Harry Potter’s most faithful companion fall to Earth and he winced. What were they doing killing animals?

He clutched his wand hard and thought about all the things he’d done to get to this point, this precipice of doubt. Repairing the Vanishing Cabinet—a feat even his father could never have achieved—letting the Death Eaters in to rampage through Hogwarts—something he wished he’d failed at—and finally, after failing to kill Dumbledore, being saved by Harry Bloody Potter!

That bird had been with Potter ever since he came to Hogwarts. The best picture Draco had cut out and hidden under his bed all those years ago was of Potter and his owl, Heddy…Hegbert…something Welsh…

Without any clear thought in mind, the wan, worn youth bent forward to pick up a pristine tailfeather. I wish I’d never had to hate… In a flash, the bedraggled blond was gone and in his place was a large Snowy Owl with only a smattering of dark brown bars across its tailfeathers and an odd greyish-brown squiggle on its left wing. Its large yellow eyes blinked and then blinked again as the bird let out a "hooo-uh, hooo-uh, hooo-uh, wuh-wuh-wuh" as it hopped from one foot to the other, flapping its wings in apparent consternation.

The sudden cessation of spellcasts and booming destruction finally impinged on the creature that had been Draco Malfoy’s sharp ears. He swivelled his head to the right and left, homing in on the approaching crackle of feet snapping dead branches. With a powerful flex of his muscles, the snowy owl was across the small glade and hidden in the treetops long before Harry Potter found the pitiful remains of…

“Oh…Hedwig…” he whispered.

~~~~~~§~~~~~~

Throughout the battles, a large Snowy Owl with a mean streak guarded Harry’s back and those of Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. Whenever they ventured near a Death Eater stronghold, the bird was there, somehow feeding them information such as when to hide and when to run. It wasn’t like Hedwig, or any real variant on the loving Hedwig—this bird’s temper was so foul that sometimes even Harry dreaded trying to tie a note to its leg! Hermione had lost hair to the wicked black beak and Ron’s right forearm would always carry the scratches of his first and only time petting the beast; only Harry or Hagrid could use the bird for messages without losing body parts.

Harry’s sharp whistle brought the Snowy Owl to him. The last battle, the last time he’d face Voldemort would be in a few hours and he wanted desperately to send off his last will and testament to the goblins of Gringotts. He’d laid out all his wealth, even the things Hermione and Ron didn’t know about, in plain black-and-white. “C’mere, Demon. One more message for you and then you can go back to eating other people.” He held out his arm, the one he’d taken to wrapping in an old leather apron since the bird’s talons were razor-sharp.