After The War (1/2)

Author: shinigami_star
Title: After the War (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco, vague references to Ron/Hermione
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Draco Malfoy sleeps, and when he wakes up he begins to see himself more clearly.
Total word count: ~ 12,000

After the War Part 1 of 2

After the war, Draco Malfoy was very tired. The kind of bone-aching exhaustion that only one year of fear-wrought insomnia can bring. The kind that one can only begin to recognize in a moment of intense relief.

And so he slept for what would seem like years.

*

The Daily Prophet, March 23, 2003
Cover Story: Wizards to Learn from Muggles? Ministry Seeks New Way for the Future.

Dennis Creevey, Political Liaison.

The long-awaited results of the Ministry of Magic's inquiry into the future of Wizard-Muggle relations were released in a press conference held at the Ministry yesterday. The witch in charge of the investigation, Hermione Granger, a Researcher for the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, delivered to the Wizarding community a controversial answer to what remains a controversial question. The research focused on the action that must be taken against the discrimination faced by Muggle-borns, and Ms. Granger’s results had a clear message running throughout: in order to better come to terms with the Muggle population, we must first come to better understand them.

Granger has suggested mandatory Muggle studies class at Hogwarts as well as amongst wizarding employers. She states that by getting a better understanding of how Muggles go about their everyday lives, it will be easier to see the qualities that Wizards and Muggles share in their lives. She also believes that Wizards will be able to learn from some Muggle technologies, stating that the Wizarding community is on the advantageous side of this relationship: wizards can learn something from the technologies that Muggles have developed in the place of magic.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Ms. Granger's research was the wide cross-section of the Wizarding population that she managed to study. Amongst an impressive list, the most notable participant was probably pureblood and convicted Death Eater, Draco Malfoy.

Due to Ms. Granger's Muggle-born status, some of the Wizarding population felt that the Ministry was unwise in rewarding her the research fellowship in this area; that her results might carry a bias stemming from her own blood status. No doubt the results she aired yesterday will fuel her critics' arguments. Before jumping to conclusions, however, it is important to consider Ms. Granger's expertise in the field: something which even her harshest critics cannot ignore. Graduating at the top of her Hogwarts class, Ms. Granger is a close friend of Harry Potter, and played a key role in the year leading up to the Battle of Hogwarts. Since she joined the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Ms. Granger's strong sense of social justice, and seemingly insatiable quest for knowledge have yielded her impressive results. The paper she wrote at age 20 on how magical law inhibited Wizard-Goblin relations is now considered a hallmark in the study of near-human creatures. She also works closely with the Ministry’s chief Arithmancer, and the innovations she has made in that field have made what once seemed virtually impossible now appear simple. Ms. Granger has proven herself as a witch that should not be messed around with.

Minister Shacklebolt was present at the release yesterday, and when questioned, stated that Ms. Granger had the Ministry's full support in her evidence. The Minister for Magic stated that he intended for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to commence mandatory Muggle Studies classes at the beginning of the next school year, and that all Ministry workers who had not received at least an OWL in Muggle Studies during their days at Hogwarts would be required to take a Ministry-subsidised class for the duration of at least one year.