Like a Shag on a Rock (1/2)

Author: jamie2109
Title: Like a Shag on a Rock (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Despite going to the other side of the world, sometimes you just can’t escape from your past.
Warnings (if any): Copious amounts of Australian slang.
Total word count: About 12,000.

An explanation of all Australian slang used is at the end of the story.

Like a Shag on a Rock Part 1 of 2

“I don’t see why they can’t handle it themselves.” Draco sat slumped in his seat, arms crossed and a scowl on his face as dark as Harry had ever seen.

Harry shrugged. He was actually looking forward to this trip. He’d never even been out of the country, let alone all the way to Australia. Just as he was about to echo Draco’s question, Hermione cut him off.

“Because Harry is the only person alive that has ever killed a Basilisk. He has to go. No one else is prepared to even look for the thing. You, as his partner, are going with him and that’s all there is to it.” The look she gave Draco dared him to argue with her – which he didn’t. He might be, rather definitely was, an arrogant arse most of the time, but he was not stupid. He hung his head; scowl still plastered on his face. “Besides,” Hermione continued. “Your Animagus form will help Harry. You have the ability to be able to smell it, long before Harry could get caught looking at it.”

“Oh, great. Rub it in why don’t you?” Draco grouched.

“What proof do they have that it’s a Basilisk?” Harry asked, ignoring Draco’s bad mood.

“There have been several deaths from overdoses of a new drug called, appropriately enough, Venom. The Australian Wizarding community became suspicious when an Auror stationed in a small town realised that all the victims had been through the farm stay project in his area.”

“What’s farm stay?”

“Tourists stay on the farm and work alongside the farmer basically for experience rather than money. It makes it a cheap holiday for backpackers.”

“All right,” Harry replied, nodding. “So, this Auror did some tests on the drug?”

“No, he passed it on to the MLE in Brisbane and they tested it. There was Basilisk venom in the drug. I’ve organised for the two of you to meet with Adam Jones, the Auror who first suspected the Basilisk. He’s the regional Auror for an area the size of England but the population of Hogwarts. He thinks that the drug came from somewhere under his control. Naturally, he’s keen to find the culprit as he’s also the local policeman.” She looked at Draco as if she expected him to ask a question, but he was still looking down. After several moments when nothing was said he looked up.

“What? I do know what a policeman is, you know. I am not a complete moron. I passed Muggle studies, unlike the Red Terror.” The Red Terror, of course, was Ron. Draco’s tone was snippy and bad tempered and Harry put a hand to his temple and closed his eyes.

Going to Australia with Draco was bound to be a nightmare.

.o0o.

Travelling by international Floo was just as bad, if not worse, than normal Floo travel. There was no soot involved, however there was still the rushing experience of flying past an untold number of fireplaces en route to the Brisbane Ministry of Magic. For Harry, falling out of the fireplace was not an unusual occurrence, though this time strong arms pulled him to his feet.