Phoenix Song (1/2)

Author/Artist: Margot/midnight_birth/margots_fic
Title: Phoenix Song (Part 1 of 2)
Pairing(s): Draco/Harry. Aside from this, every single pairing as provided by the epilogue and JKR’s further notes, except for a swift Harry/OMC.
Rating: R
Summary: When Draco, as the head of the Hit Wizards Department, decides to take an extremely dangerous job on, who would be the ideal partner for such a task is the only easy answer in the whole ordeal. And Harry, just out of a divorce, bored, restless, and unable to talk to anyone but the one person who has become a frenemy over the years, might just still be reckless enough to take up the challenge, along with his no less reckless godson. And when Harry realizes he’s lusting desperately after his partner, the assignment isn’t even the main concern any longer.
Warnings (if any): Harsh language, scenes of mild sexual nature, spoilers for all books and for all the follow-up information JKR provided, as it takes off where the Epilogue leaves off, thus being completely canon-compliant. Graphic violence.
Total word count: 16,627

Phoenix Song Part 1 of 2

~*~

“Do you have to go to work right away?”

Harry forced his eyes away from the disappearing train and glanced at Ginny. She was smiling awkwardly.

“I mean, did you maybe want to grab some lunch with Lily and me?”

Harry could see Ron and Hermione look away and tense uncomfortably. It was obvious they didn’t want to be there. They still couldn’t figure out how to deal with this sort of thing – how to act around them. It has been half a year, actually, since the divorce had been finalized, but Harry knew that people around them would never really get used to the idea of Ginny and himself not being together. She was his second girlfriend. They had been together for twenty years. They had three wonderful children, were happy, held great jobs, and had great friends. In a perfect, safe, ideal post-Voldemort world a love like theirs didn’t just “burn out”. Except it did.

He remembered all too clearly Ron’s face when he told him. There were many harsh words said that day. The children! and You didn’t try hard enough! and How could you do this to us?Us. This was the problem. By breaking up with Ginny, he felt like he had to break up with the whole family. But they had gotten through it somehow after all. He was like a son to Molly and Arthur, in law or otherwise. It was still hard as hell.

Harry was snapped out of his reverie by Ron clearing his throat loudly. The silence had gotten unbearable.

“Um... No. I mean, I would love to, but I took time off as it is to come see Al and James off and... There’s this meeting. And I’m running it. Right, Ron?”

Ron gave him a tired look. “Yeah.” He turned to Hermione and brought her into a tight hug. “Better be off, then. May as well Apparate. Take the car?” She smiled and nodded and he kissed her. “Tell Hugo I may be back after bed-time today.”

Harry gave Lily a tight hug.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered so only she could hear. “I will be over tomorrow and we can do anything you like then.”

She smiled and kissed his nose, patting his studded cheek with her small star-shaped hand. She loved it when he didn’t shave and was “poky”. He used it as an excuse for not bothering to pick up a raiser for days on end more than once. “I know.”