November 16, 1974

"Welcome students. Hurry up and find a seat, boys on this side, girls on the other" Minnie said, pointing to different sides of the Great Hall. "Hopefully you all got the memo that there will be no third period today, instead we're in here"

Lots of people were whispering "What's going on?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Why does Minnie look so fat?" that was Sirius, I could tell.

"Now as some of you may know, The Triwizard Tournament is always accompanied by the Yule Ball. There is no Triwizard Tournament this year, but there will be a ball (I know it doesn't make any sense but it really happened in 1974 so I figured I'd write it). "I want you all to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is first and foremost a dance"

Now suddenly everyone was all interested. All the girls looked excitedly at the boys, except for me. I just slouched back into my chair.

"Pathetic"

"Everyone please settle down. I'd like Mr. Lupin to come up here and practice the dance with me" I chuckled and Sirius whistled. They danced for a few minutes before Minnie spoke again.

"I'd like you all to partner up and practice the dance that I just showed you. Come on, out of your seat" I got out of my seat and saw James walking towards me. I quickly hid behind Lily until he went the other way.

"May I have this dance?" Sirius asked, holding out his hand.

"Why yes you can" I replied, taking his hand. We danced for about 10 minutes but we weren't really dancing. It was more like stepping on each other's toes and laughing.

"Y/n... this is serious," Minne said.

"No, that's Sirius" I replied. Minnie just rolled her eyes. "Soooo, who are you going to ask to the ball?" I asked Sirius.

"Oh...I don't know. It's too early to limit my options and deprive anyone of me" Sirius replied.

"How horrible it would be to only have one date. I feel the same way"

"Oh do you? Or do you just want to avoid going with James. You know he's going to ask you" I glared sideways at James.

"I don't know what I'm going to do. Avoid is always a good option". And so for the next few weeks, that is exactly what I did. Sneaking around corners, hiding behind Rem, it was all to make sure James couldn't get to me.