September 1, 1975 (Pt. 2)

After the feast, James and I split from the rest of the group to show the first year students to their dormitories. I promised James I'd meet him in my dorm, more private than the boys. Sure enough, ten to ten, he was knocking on my door.
    "Come in" I said, scanning the hallway behind him to make sure no one was aware I was sneaking a boy into my room. I clicked the lock, and turned around to see James sitting on my bed.
    He sat, and I stood, in silence. "Look Y/n," I tried not to interrupt this time, "I got your letter and there's just so many things I want to say".
    He paused, and didn't start again.
    "Go on..." I edged. I was getting more annoyed by the second. How much courage had it taken me to tell him what I did and he doesn't even have the decency to say, well, anything?
    "I'm sure it's quite obvious, as it always has been, that I- I like you. Seriously, genuinely like you," he didn't sound the same. Almost remorseful.
    "So then what's the problem?" I asked.
    "What problem-"
    "Well, you know, in my experience, there is always a problem. Things can't ever be ALL happy" I started to pace around the room. Maybe this wouldn't work out how I wished it would.
    He just laughed.
    "Wh-why are you laughing?".
    "Because you look so cute when you ramble".
    "James," I shook my head as he slowly got up from my bed. "this is serious".
    "I know"
    He grabbed my face and kissed me. I was speechless.
         "But this can't happen," he said.