December 9, 1975

James' P.O.V.

Why do the two of them always have to talk so loud? And why is flirting at 2 in the morning so giggly? The past few days have been hell with no sleep. The only thing I could think would make this better was Y/N: so I went to her.
"James? What are you doing?" Sirius asked as he watched me head for the door.
"Uh... I've just gotta get some fresh air, I can't sleep" I replied as I shut the door behind me only to still hear laughing from our room.
Walking down the stairs is treacherous at night, especially with the Slytherin pranks that have found their way throughout Hogwarts. Phoebe got Peter good the other day with an exploding cake: too bad I hadn't thought of it. By the time I got to the top of the girls stairs, I could barely keep my eyes open enough to see Y/N standing in front of me.
"James?" her soft voice rang through the corridor, "what are you doing here?"
"I uh- I just couldn't sleep"
"That's odd. Before now I would've said that you were the heaviest sleeper I know. Something on your mind?" She asked, reaching her hand out to grab mine as she opened the door to her room.
"Not particularly" I replied, knowing that this was a lie in some sort of twisted way. "The boys have just been extra loud recently and it's bothering the hell out of me".
"Well it's no worries if you want to stay here. It can get rather lonely in this room without a roommate (Lily had specifically asked Dumbledore to be moved into a separate room and all of their other roommates went with her). I'm sure there's plenty of room in my bed", she said as she crawled under the covers "-if that's what you want, anyways".
I didn't realize that I hadn't responded to her offer for a large number of seconds. Something about the way her hair looked after she'd been sleeping on it, or the way her room always looked so clean, even in the dark-I don't know, I just couldn't seem to focus.
It looked as if she'd fallen asleep by the time I crawled into bed next to her. That was until she startled me.
This was the opportunity I had been looking for. It's something I had been meaning to say, something I had wanted to ever since I'd first seen her. I had tried to say it in the mirror as a sort of practice run, but I quickly realized that I needed to do it in her presence, whether she was awake or not, that was the only genuine way to do so. And now that I was certain she wouldn't hear me, it seemed the perfect setting for a confession.
"Y/N, I know you probably suspected this but I find it no less hard to say. It's odd, feelings that is, but I just cannot seem to ignore them. What I'm trying to say is, will you be my girlfriend?" I was whispering at this point and I was so sure that she was asleep I turned the other way and tried to do so myself.
It was only after a few seconds of silence I was brought back to consciousness.
"Yes"

A/N: GUYS I'M BACK AND I'M SO EXCITED! I love all of your guys' support so so much it literally makes my day every time I see a nice comment. Anyway, I've been on a roll and I've written like 5 chapters in the past hour so there's more coming soon I promise. This chapter is dedicated to my best friend charley135 because she's been motivating me to write <3 . I love each of you so so so much :)