chapter thirty-four: entrapped

Johnny enter the dining area where both Taeyong and Doyoung are already eating breakfast.

He notices the empty seat. "Is Donghyuck still not coming?"

"No..." Taeyong responds droopily, worried for their unit maknae's well-being.
"He skipped dinner yesterday too."

Johnny sits down and the three eat the meal prepared by their dorm aunt quietly.

Until, after a little while later, Johnny decides to start a topic.
"You know, I still wonder sometimes about how fast you were at helping her."

Doyoung meets his gaze. "What do you mean?"

"Eunwol. You ran to her before Donghyuck could. It's almost as if you were waiting for it to happen," the older points out curiously.

The other sighs and puts down his chopsticks. "I didn't 'wait' for it. I just expected it. I had suspected they were dating from the start, or at least, like each other- even before we went to Japan."

"Why didn't you tell us anything?" Johnny queries, feeling a slight dejection.

"It wasn't my right to! Besides, I thought it was obvious! From the drunk video of him to being your roommate, I thought, at least, you would know."

"So, it was really all my fault, wasn't it?"

The sudden sound of the voice they've longed to hear, quietens any other and they whip their heads to the youngest.

Donghyuck looks just as always- unruly bed hair, casual white tee and black shorts. But, deep inside, they know he's a wreck.

Just from his actions itself, they know- his usual blinding light is gone. It flickers.

"What?" Taeyong asks as gentle as possible, cautious and confused at the lad's words.

Donghyuck looks at them, dark circles more visible now that they meet eye to eye. "You knew that we were dating because of me. I was the one who made it obvious- that's why the fans knew. And now, Eunwolㅡ"

"No, Donghyuck-ah. That's not it at all. It wasn't your fauㅡ"

"Then, whose was it, hyung?? Look! Look at what happened! I can't see her anymore and I can't call her either! She got hurt and I wasn't even there to save her! You did!" Hyuck bursts at Doyoung. "She must be so sad that I... I couldn't help her. I don't even know how she is. Hyung, please-"

Their eyes widen when his eyes start glistening and droplets of tears fall rapidly as they gradually turn into streams.
"Help me. I want to see her... Please."

He sobs and cries, unable to move from his post or he'll end up crashing onto his knees.

And his brothers seem to know it as Johnny muffles his wails by pulling the younger into his arms- accompanying him with his actions when words cannot.

Taeyong and Doyoung's eyes water, empathizing with Hyuck and guilt weighs their hearts at their inability to aid his wishes.

Haechan's phone was taken by the company as a way to create boundary between him and Eunwol and none of the other members have her number either because exchanging contact information between staff and idol isn't a necessity except, when it comes to managers.

And the other staffs are banned from telling them Eunwol's contact as well.

Especially, now that she's fired, they have no relevance with her in any way. It's as if they've turned into strangers overnight.

Johnny moves back when Donghyuck pushes him away, now silent and calm.

His eyes red and face flushed from all the emotions- only then does the others realize the puffiness and exhaustion that expose the fact that this isn't the first time he has cried.

"I'm going out. I'm meeting Eunwol," he declares with his cracked tone before swivelling to his room.

"But, Donghyuck, manager hyung willㅡ"

"He can do whatever he wants. I can't stand it, anymore. I wasn't there the first time she needed me. I can't make the same mistake twice. This is the time when Eunwol needs me the most."

The older ones are still in their spots- scared and uncertain of their younger brother's fate as he follows his decision but agreeing with it, as well.

"She needs me," Haechan says again, determined with his choice and expressing it in case, any of his hyungs try to intervene.
"And I need her."