chapter thirty-seven: cursed

The sound effects coming from the TV fill the deafening silence of the dorm.

Are the members fighting? No. But, the grim and darkness that emanate from Donghyuck's room are so daunting, they overpower all other auras.

Even, Johnny who shares the room with him, had troubles sleeping last night despite, the younger only doing nothing and staying dormant in bed.

"Is Haechan still sleeping?"

They all turn to Yuta who asks and some nod while others shrug.

Frankly, deep down, they know their youngest isn't sleeping, and if he is, it won't be tranquil even in the slightest bit to call it a slumber.

"He's still lying on his bed. Didn't see him move much at all," Johnny reports.

Jungwoo's brows bend in worry. "What happened to make him so sad?"

The question that constantly pesters their minds but they're unable to voice aloud.

The curiousity eats them up but their respect for their littlest brother of the unit, placates their fiery thirst for answers.

"They broke up," Doyoung suddenly sounds. "It was obvious from his reaction, wasn't it?"

Haechan's piercing shouts from before instantly start to echo in their heads.

"Where did you go? The lobby security reported that you went out so I came," their manager asked as if he didn't know where the idol went.

The others were all awakened by his arrival as well, so everyone, including the other half of NCT127 from the neighbouring dorm room, was there to witness the scene about to unfold- or more like, witness the havoc.

Donghyuck stopped in his tracks and his fists clenched tightly. "Are you satisfied with how things are, right now? After all that's happened, are you finally, satisfied?"

His tone was not raised nor abrasive, but it was clear he was mad from the way it was strained and how his fists shook.

"Donghyuck, it was all for your bestㅡ"

"Best?? My best??" The idol's voice became louder, harsher and he whipped his head to the older- eyes seeing red. "How do you know what's best for me? HOW? WHO ARE YOU TO DETERMINE THAT??"

Taeyong stepped forward- reaching out to him. "Haechan-ah, calm dowㅡ"

"SHUT UP! HYUNG, SHUT IT!" Donghyuck bursted and glared daggers at him with a scowl of detest.
"You have NO RIGHT to tell me to calm down!"

"Haechan, I had to do what the company told me to. If I didn't, the rumours could've grown out of hand and it would be too late to fix.
"Some procedures had to be taken for your sake and your position as an idol," manager-nim tried to reason but it only made Donghyuck scoff.

"Again, with the 'it's all for my sake.' Is that all you can think of? Since day 1, I signed up to be an idol, I did everything the company told me to do. Lose weight, cut my hair, wear new types of clothing even if I didn't want to, watch my words, watch my actions, avoid unnecessary interactions- everything.
"Even those that were clearly normal and basic human personality- those that I and every single individual have the rights to do.
"But, now, this one time I finally decide to do what I genuinely want to, the company labels me as a rebel, a nuisance, and tries to undo what I've done. For goodness' sake, it's not even a crime and everyone acts like it is," Hyuck spoke bitterly but gradually turned more blue towards the end.

He wiped his eyes that begin to water. "I was genuinely happy when I was with her. I was happy, hyung, but now that's ripped away from me."

The members gaze at him sympathetically, unable to relate to his pain but too fearful to even imagine it.

Their manager stepped forward, closer to the youngest of the unit. "Haechan-ah, don't worry. One day, it'll all be okay. Soon enough, you'll forget about all this. You need to move on."

Now that, was a terrible mistake.

Haechan faced their manager with nothing but loathe in his eyes and anger seething through his gritted teeth. "You dare tell me to not worry, forget and move on when you and this fuxking company are the cause of it? Don't be ridiculous.
"From now on, I'll do whatever I want to and you can't stop me from doing them. Kick me out if you want, that would probably be better for me, anyways- away from this cursed fate."