chapter thirty-eight (i): fullsun

Ding! Dong!

Johnny answers the door and stays briefly.

The door shuts behind him with a merry tune emitted by the automatic lock system and he walks to the dining table with a box in his hold.

"Who was that?" Taeyong asks and notices the package.

"The lobby security. He said someone left this for Haechan."

The leader looks at the small post information sticker.

Accurately, Haechan's full name is written as the receiver but the sender's name box is only filled with a doodle of a crescent moon- coloured in with silver ink.

"Who sent it?" Johnny asks and Taeyong wears a heavy expression.

"It's a silver moon- Eunwol."

*Eunwol means silver moon

The familiar name brings back many memories of the girl rushing into their heads and they can already imagine how it will affect Haechan.

How he reacts to it, however, they can't predict.

"I'll bring it to him," Taeyong insists and heads over to Donghyuck's room.

Knock, knock.

"Haechan, I'm coming in," Taeyong tells from outside the door before swinging it open- finally letting light enter the dim, gloomy room.

As expected, Donghyuck is still lying on his bed with the covers hiding his figure and head facing away from others.

"You got a package," the leader tells and receives no response. "It's from Eunwol."

The younger's body flinches and Taeyong catches his slight movement, partly relieved at it considering how long it's been since the lad actually budged from his mattress unless necessary.

"I'll leave it here," Yong places the box on his bedside table before exiting without another word- knowing that Hyuck won't reply to it, anyways.

Even after the door closes, the lone idol remains frozen, hesitant and frankly, scared to see what his- no, Eunwol, sent him.

They broke up. Surely, what he's about to receive won't be relieving, would it?

But, after long minutes, he levers himself up and turns his head towards the package.

Soft rustles emit from his covers as he slowly shifts and stretches to grab the box.

To: Lee Donghyuck ☀️

The little sun drawing makes him feel dispirited despite, it supposedly being a joyful thing for him. It, after all, is his famous nickname; Fullsun.

The doodle of the moon however, aches him more and he traces his finger over it before lifting the lid.

His breath hitches when he sees its content.

Maybe, it's the negativity that floods him relentlessly or the fresh memory of breaking up with Eunwol but, he expected scary things inside the box.

Like, the gifts he gave her or his hoodies she wore or Polaroids of them together she chose to return but instead, inside are mostly brand new presents he's never seen before.

Slowly, he reaches in to grab the fluffy, adorable brown teddy bear and holds it in front of him.

He can't explain what it is but, it reminds him of himself and the way its round, black eyes sparkle brings him back to the time when his would do the same.

press the paw

The sticky note stuck on its yellow sweater says and Haechan obliges- ears perking immediately after at the sound of Eunwol's voice.

"Ahem, ahem. 1, 2, 3- Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to you~"

The idol's eyes glisten with tears as her singing voice fills the silent room.

"Happy birthday, Donghyuckie~ Happy birthday to you! Yay!! Gosh, that was cheesy!"

An airy chuckle emits and he tenderly gazes at the stuffed toy as the recording continues.

"Anyways, so, actually, I prepared these gifts in advance waaaay before your birthday. You know how hard it is to wait for your birthday to give them? Because of that, you better keep these safe or I'm beheading you."

A pause follows and he furrows until it sounds again.

"Or... throw them. I don't know. Whatever you'd like. After all, you must be angry with me, aren't you? I admit, it was my fault for making this decision all by myself but, I knew you wouldn't have agreed to it. I didn't want to either, at first.
"But, I thought long and hard about it and noticed that, we... really are a funny pair. And there's completely nothing wrong with it but, others than us have a different perspective."