Upcoming Track.

Do you guys know about Devdasi's ?

Devdasi is a woman who considered given in marraige to the God. These woman dedicated to God's once held a high social status and were well respected.

But Now They Are Treated As Sex Slaves.

They learned music and dance, and as many as 64 types of arts. They would dance and sing in temples or in front of royalty and earn gold and land as a reward.

The Devdasi culture can be traced back in 7th century in Southern parts of India. At that time they were well treated but at Present they are nothing more than a Sex Slave.

The children ,merely of age 4-5 are forced into becoming Devadasis by their own parents, because these girls are their only source of income in most cases. A lot of these families aren’t even allowed to enter or stay in the villages. They are ostracized because of their caste. Hence, inevitably, all of them are either illiterate or have received very little education, with no means for a stable income. The only jobs they can get are those of street cleaners or sewage collectors. Parents are therefore forced to act as pimps for their daughters and dedicate them as Devadasis in the hope of finding a means of survival.

The Saundatti festival in Karnatak temple, which is also known as the Yellamma Devi Fair, happens on many occasions from October to February, with the girls given in dedication from November onwards. Parents choose a day that is convenient for them and that they consider auspicious. On that day, the girls are fully clad in green during the ceremony, and older Devadasis give them in dedication to God.

Once the girl attains puberty, her parents inform the community, which in turn helps them find a landlord or someone wealthy to “take” the girl. The man, in return, takes care of the financial needs of the family, partially or fully, as long as he uses her for sex. There is a huge demand for girls who are virgins, and they are paid more than the others.

What happened to the legal measures?

Both before and after Independence, the government enacted laws prohibiting the dedication of Devadasis. It has been more than 20 years since the practice was banned across India.

However, according to the National Human Rights Commission, in 2013, there were as many as 4,50,000 Devadasis in India. Another commission led by Justice Raghunath Rao revealed that there are about 80,000 Devadasi women in just Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.

The people involved in the practice are either not aware that laws are there in place prohibiting it or choose to ignore them.

It is still practiced in some places of India. Small girls,in tender age , when they wish to see dream are sold to the monsters so that their family could be financially stable.

Just few mins ago was having a normal conversation with my mother when suddenly the topic Devdasi arrived.
Couldn't help but writing  about it.

But it will come little later that is Mano and Madhav track ke baad.

Till then take care.