chapter 12

Baby Yeonjun was sauntering down the sidewalk with a wistful expression, his face devoid of any happiness or childish joy. It was his first time walking outside alone, with completely stranger people around him, but he wasn't afraid. His little heart was only full of sadness which was perfectly visible in his gloomy eyes directed downwards. He was never allowed by elders to walk in the streets alone or play with other children since he had been different from the very beginning. They had always been afraid he would get hurt in the outside world. But now Yeonjun was there, standing alone in front of humans who looked nothing different from him, but still, the only thing he could think of at the moment was gloom which was settled in his heart and making him heavy from inside.

His feet made light thumping sounds as they met the ground and passed by big malls, markets or different buildings. The golden haze of the sun landed upon his shoulders and back and shaded his sweater in a soft yellow. Yeonjun didn't know where he was going, but he knew he needed to stop when his eyes locked to one little boy who was curled up into a small ball several feet away from him, dressed in old shabby clothes. Yeonjun could notice a desolate look on his dirty face, his fingers slender and mucky, all his clothes and scruffy shoes covered in filth.

The boy looked lonely. Maybe a little bit lonelier too than Yeonjun. That's why waves of sympathy started forming heaps at the bottom of his little heart. His feet dragged him to the boy unconsciously, taking small steps on the paved path as he fiddled with his fingers nervously. He just wanted to make a friend and that boy looked like he needed a friend. It was a perfect coincidence, but it more looked like life had decided to make them cross paths.

The little boy drew his attention to the newcomer, whipping up his head a bit as his eyes fixed on the little alpha hovering above him.

"Are you orphan like me?", he asked, earning a small nod from Yeonjun as his question made him bow his head. He was right when he considered that the boy was really lonely, "Do you miss your parents too?", the boy asked the second question and Yeonjun nodded again as tears started to form in his eyes slowly.

Yeonjun leaned against the concrete wall beside him to support his weight as he kneeled and sat beside the boy, his arms wrapping around his bent knees which were pressed against his chest. He turned his head to the boy, casting an examining glance at his body and old, shabby clothes, "Do you want us to buy some food?", he asked, earning a hopeful and excited look from the boy as he briskly nodded his head.

Yeonjun couldn't help but smile warmly at his reaction, knowing he must have been really hungry.

"I'm Yeonjun", he said and held out his little hand to his new friend, "What's your name?"

Yeonjun sat up in his bed with wide eyes, his parted lips letting out shaky, shallow breaths as his heart pounded heavily against his chest. He was swimming in sweat as his body shook from inside in panic, small beads dripping down the back of his neck. He didn't even know why he was so scared when all he dreamt of was his childhood memories, but still, what was that dark terror which had settled in his heart so mercilessly?

The alpha ran his shaky hand over his face and tried to calm his shaky breath. He was sure if he looked in the mirror at that moment, he would see nothing, but a horrible reflection of walking dead.

The outside environment was still engulfed in heavy darkness, but the moonlight was peeking into his room through a little gap of curtains and lighting it up nicely. Yeonjun reached his nightstand with his quivering hand and scanned his cell phone without a sparing glance at it. He lit up the screen after he found the device and examined his contacts, looking for a certain number as nervousness shimmered in his anxious eyes which were reflecting the beaming lights of the screen. His heart started throbbing louder this time when he pressed the phone against his ear and he didn't even know he was holding his breath until he heard his dear voice from the other side.