Chapter 197: Eternal Starlight

Yang Zi Huo is waiting for me in my quarters. I see him running to me, his hand reaching for mine.

"Yuxing, why did you go to the Heaven Realm? Did something happen?"

"I should ask you that." Pulling away, I ask another question without answering. "Why did you run off to meet Princess Lan Qiao?"

"I'm sorry... She mentioned that the Fox Clan had the artifact of Zhen He that can help you cultivate. I met with her about this."

"And you didn't discuss with me... as usual." I walk past him, entering my room.

"It was urgent. I was to meet with her sooner. Anyhow, I'll tell you now. Lan Qiao will guide me to Yu Shui Mountain to find Zhen He."

"Zi Huo, I don't need some ancient artifact to help me obtain immortality. I don't want you to risk your life for something like this."

"Yuxing, do you not understand why? I don't want to spend another life without you. As you grow old in your mortal form, I will not. As you suffer mortal ailment, I will have to witness it all. Being mortal and living with me in the Demon Realm will shorten your life span."

The pain in his eyes tear at my heart. I don't want him to think of such things. That I will leave, but it is the truth that lies inside of us. Demons will always be the opposite of humans, even when the two kinds are so similar.

"It won't take me long to cultivate. I've decided I will seclude myself to the Mermaid Kingdom to work on my cultivation."

"Mermaid Kingdom?" Staggering, his hand takes a hold of my arm. "Why would you go there?"

"The essence of the Mermaid Kingdom was molded by my previous incarnation. Naturally, being there has helped my cultivation already."

"So you want to live there from now on?"

"Only until my mortal status ascends."

"Then... I will have to wait once more."

He looks at the ground. A gloomy aura exudes from his slumped shoulders. My hands cup around his face, bringing our eyes to meet.

"Zi Huo, it won't take long. I have all this inner power from the Divine Creator to cultivate. If you believe Zhen He can help then I won't stop you from getting it. Just promise me that you won't risk your life or risk getting injured to retrieve it."

"I promise."

"And today I met with the Heavenly Emperor to make it clear that you and the Mermaid Clan are not looking to stir up anything. He should back down with his advances."

"That... you're sure he'll listen to you?"

"I imagine he will. The Heavenly Emperor disobeying his elder? Now that's unsightly."

"Yes, I guess if anyone can challenge him, it would be you."

I planned my departure in the next month. Moving to the Mermaid Kingdom, to live in seclusion and cultivate. I won't truly be alone. Yang Zi Huo and I will always be connected. However, due to the rules of the Mermaid Immortals, I'll be careful to not accidentally teleport him in again.

I told him about seeing Yi Fei in the Heaven Realm. He was just as shocked as I was when I saw her. Of course he wanted to see her and have her live with us in Azure Aurora too. But he knew his sister would not allow that. She is determined to walk her own path.

"Zi Huo, so this is goodbye." The sandy beach feels lumpy under my feet. Vehement waves roar under dark skies. Yang Zi Huo stands in front of me, his hands hidden behind his back.